Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a large pottery pig with flowers painted over him. I

Customer Question

I have a large pottery pig with flowers painted over him. I think he is made around the 30s the mark underneath is a single rose transfer and made in England underneath
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help with your pig figurine.

Could you very kindly provide a photo, and one of the mark on the base.

Also, how big is he?

All the Wemyss and Plichta pigs are hand painted, as I am sure you know. Lucky you to have a collection of them! They have always been a favorite of mine.

Have a close look at the colors with a strong magnifying glass and let me know if you see dots. That means it's printed decoration, but possibly may have some 'heightening' by hand as well. There were quite a number of Wemyss "wannabe" potteries producing pigs at that time.

Here's a REALLY simple way to attach additional images (three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done).

Go to http://www.imgur.com/

(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it far too complicated)

Click on Computer

Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx and it's located right under where it says Link (email & IM) and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Best wishes,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried for over an hour to attach pictures etc but its impossible to do fr my iPad and I am out in Spain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I could not work out how to attach the pictures so I sent them to info with your name on.

Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I emailed the pictures to you this morning and got a reply saying they had them. Have you got them yet ?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for the very comprehensive set of pictures.

Let me see if I can track down some information on this mark.

Meanwhile, it does look like this is decal (printed) decoration rather than hand painting.

I'll be back to you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is highlighted transfers for sure. I have a huge collection of antique porcelain and pottery so I can see that. The mark shows up on google but it doesn't say who it is or the date. My thoughts it's c1930.

Paul
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul,
I have drawn a blank, I'm afraid, I can't find anything on this pig or its mark.

I think it would be best if I opted out and see if another of our experts can help.

Here are the pics so everyone can see them:

http://imgur.com/FYHWq6h,gXKHITm,6hYoDGW,b88x6Hr

Best of luck,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you going to hand it over to another expert to deal with ? Can you let me know please. If not then refund the £29 and I will take it in to Sotheby's when I get back. Please let me know. Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robert. Sorry I didn't read your message properly. When will another expert be able to look at it ?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know, you will not be charged anything until or unless you accept an answer and your deposit will be refunded.

As far as when to expect an answer, I would leave your question on the open questions board (where it is now) for a couple of days at least. If it still not answered, I would do as you suggest and find a good auction house appraiser.

I'm so sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for, but I do hope you find someone who can.

All the best,
Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had to pay £29 up front. So I have already paid through PayPal. When I return to London I will be able to get one of my porcelain dealers to date it etc. I have loads of books on marks at home. I have not heard from anybody else as you said I would

Paul
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

You are still eligible for a refund should you not get an answer.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

It may be that no records of this mark survive. I cannot find it in any of my references and I like to think I have most of the reputable and reliable ones there are. The only hope, in my view, is that one might stumble upon a mention of it in contemporary trade journals of the day such as The Pottery Gazette.

Best wishes,
Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What period do you think to hunt for 30s or 50s ?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

I would probably do both, but start with the 1930s. You are right, it has the look of something from the 1930s, particularly the chintz-like way the roses are done.

However the font style of the "Made in England" looks 1950s or 1960s even.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Will I get the refund to my PayPal ?

Paul
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

You'll have to go to http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

to get confirmation on the refund.

As I work 'on' rather than 'for' JustAnswers as an independent agent, I can't do this from my screen, I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried to get a refund but so far it has not happened. I paid via PayPal.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if your refund has not been processed. A refund request will take a little while as PayPal needs 3 to 5 business days to return the funds to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has not been processed yet. I would appreciate it if you could get it dealt with. I am back on London in a week so I can get it appraised by one of the dealers I know in that field.

Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One thing I did see was a chinzware jug with the same mark but again they did not know the factory.

Paul
Expert:  Robert S. replied 3 years ago.

I'd be very interested to know if you find out. Please let me know if you do.

Best of luck,
Robert