Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Please send more information about a morning tea set porcelain,

Customer Question

Please send more information about a morning tea set porcelain, wavy gold rims, light blue marked on base Rd64638 in black square and Rd 105108 ELGIN
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! It will be my pleasure to assist you today.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster of 5 years and a USPAP compliant Accredited Appraiser of 14 years currently with the AOAppraisers. I'm ready to put my expertise, resources, and experience to work for you. Here you can review a few of my qualifications.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question about your tea set. Thanks! How many pieces are there total in this set? To best assist you I need more information about your needs today and to know what questions you have? If you are seeking a value as well, before researching, it would help to know what type below fits your needs best:

Market Value (Selling): Most up-to-date price range to expect if sold today. Estimated using the prices that buyers have recently paid and sellers have accepted in the open and competitive market.

Insurable Value (Keeping): The amount replacement would cost today excluding any taxes or shipping fees. Can be printed and sent to your Insurance company.

Please let me know your questions and which value type you are looking for and I will be back as soon as possible. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am enquiring on behalf of Elgin Museum as we have been offered the set to buy. We would like to know if the Elgin mark has anything to do with Elgin, Moray, Scotland. We would like some idea of price if it is of interest to us.

I have attached two photos. Janet

I hope I have attached the photos as this is an unfamiliar form to me. If not can I send them in an ordinary email for which I will need an address?

Thank you Janet. JustAnswer does not permit me to give you my personal email address so to share pictures you have a couple options:

1. You can try the paperclip icon in the chat reply box to upload photos here,

2. An offsite photo sharing website such as Imgur.com, to upload your pictures there then share the URL links with me.

3. Or easily Attach ​and email your photos to [email protected] with the Subject "Pictures for Appraiser Alan AOA C" JustAnswer.com will forward them to me within 8 - 24 hours.

Please make sure you reply to me here to tell me how you will be sending pictures.

Please let me know if you need time to get pictures or if they will not be available so we can continue accordingly. I look forward to your reply. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have sent the photos by email as suggested above and I look forward to your reply, Regards, Janet

Thanks I have your pictures and I'll get right on this for you. I'll be back with an answer as soon as possible. You will be emailed any time I respond. You will be able to follow the emails link back to this page. Thank you again for your question!

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer. I was able to determine a market value range for you based on recent sales of qualified comparable items and hope this will answer all your questions.

From experience and research I can tell you I searched several different books and websites and looked at hundreds of marks and I could not come up with your maker. I believe it was made by Paragon China before the incorporated.The company was opened by the Aynsley brothers of the Staffordshire pottery district. The piece bears two registry marks the first one was registered in 1890 and the second one was registered in 1915 so we know the set is at least that old.

Searching hundreds of auction houses records provided an excellent amount of recent sales results with the majority indicating your antique Morning Tea service made in the Safforshire district in 1915 has a current market value of 109 - 218 GBP . The price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more. Although this is the average amount today, there have been higher sales in the past indicating most markets are down at the moment.

I would recommend a starting asking price of 263 GBP

This way you can reduce accordingly if necessary because Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. If this isn't what you would like, please let me know and I can provide you with Insurance value.

AppraiserAlan AOA CA Qualifications

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer

I hope this is the information you were looking for! If not, or you would like to know more, please reply. If I have taken care of all your needs, please make sure to rate my answer for my compensation and to close out the question.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items please request me by name in a new question and I will get with you there as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

Since I had not heard from you I just wanted to check and make sure that you are able to see my answer. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if need more time to review. If there is there anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I look forward to your reply or rating. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Alan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alan, Thank you for the information about the teaset. As we suspected it has nothing to do with Elgin, Moray and so we will not be proceeding further with a sale. It was interesting to know about the manufacturers and so thank you for your help. Regards, Janet

Thank you Janet, I hope I was able to help. I look forward to your rating and hope to hear from you again soon!