Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Hi, I have a pair of small vases that were given as a wedding

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pair of small vases that were given as a wedding present to my wife's great grandmother in 1889, they have a marking on the bottom that looks like an F in some squiggles, is there any way to identify them, I have tried searching for a comprehensive list of marks on the internet but not had any luck. Kind regards Robert
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome Robert,
My name isXXXXX am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
Do you have any photos of the mark you may be able to send?
There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows:

You can use the picture icon that looks like a tree or a paper clip in the center of the tool bar in the conversation box to upload pictures.

You can also upload pictures to a site called imgur.com that's really great for sharing pictures. It's free, and all you need to do is go to the site and:

1. click the "Computer" button
2. double click the image on your computer
3. click "start upload"

Then just copy/paste the new link in the browser window and you can immediately supply me with your pictures by posting the link to your question page.

You can also email pictures [email protected] with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.
Thank you for your time,
Frank
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Hello Robert,
I just wanted to give you an update on your inquiry.
I received the photos, Thank you very much for sending those over.
I see how this mark could have stumped you, as I have been searching and though finding some similar marks, I have not found this exact one.
I am going to to continue my search today, in hopes of finding the elusive mark.
Thank you for your patience with this inquiry,
Frank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Frank
Hoping it helps have sent you via [email protected] a picture of one of the actual vases, one has a #2and one has a #6 stamped into the bottom.
Robert
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Robert,
I am going to keep searching and will keep an eye out for those other photos.
Thank you again for all if your time,
Frank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Frank.

Not sure if you are able to help with these vases, I did hope an answer would be more forthcoming,

I see that your field is gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.

These vases are ceramics.

Have to say that to get an email saying nothing about them is disappointing and in my mind a waste of the money.

Perhaps I expected too much!

Can you please tell me are you in the UK as the site name suggests?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In being courteous I have to advise that today 14.01.2014 I have requested a refund.

Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Hello Robert,
I did not get back to you because the search for the mark was still in progress.
I was able to locate similar marks but only one was located within the UK.
The marks I was ableto locate that bear any resemblence to your piece belong to
Charles Ford, in Hanley, Staffordshire circa 1874-1904

New York City Pottery, New York circa 1853-1888

Willets Manufacturing Co. Trenton, New Jersey circa 1879-1900

I have been digging for three days for this mark with no real match.
The marks I have suggested are all similar in the initials, but there are a few differences that don't give me full confidence in that being the exact mark.