Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Certified & Licensed
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

I have a philip berrill oil painting would it be worth any

Customer Question

I have a philip berrill oil painting would it be worth anything.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been asked to assist you!
I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster, Accredited AOA Appraiser, and an IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be my pleasure to put my expertise, libraries & resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question regarding your Philip Berrill oil painting. Thank you very much! I believe I will be able to help, but first I have to get a little more information from you.
What are the measurements of this piece, height and width of the work itself not counting any framing?

I see that you would like a value. Which value type below best fits your needs so I know what type of research to do?

Market Value (Selling, Trading, Buying): Most up-to-date price range to expect if sold today. Estimated using the prices that buyers have recently paid and sellers have accepted in the open and competitive market.

Insurable Value (Keeping, Replacing, Shipping): The amount an equal replacement would cost today excluding any taxes or shipping fees. Can be printed and sent to your Insurance company.

I look forward to your reply and will be back as soon as possible. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you prompt reply...however I will have to delay my reply until tomorrow, as the painting isn't with me at the moment. I will be able to answer tomorrow morning, on the reverse of the painting is I think the original receipt, along with some other information.
Hi Lorraine that will be fine thank you, Alan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alan

Here is some more information about the painting.

Length - 1300mm - Width 300mm - approx I measured to the edge of the frame.

Signature: Berrill 1968.

Style: Abstract

Colours: Blues, dark green, black, purple, white.

On the back attached to the frame are bits of paper, they say..

Royal Academy Exhibition 1968:

'Philip Berrill,

60 Abington Grove Northampton.

Title: Abington Street ( towards All Saints)

Price: 40 Gns. No 5

James Bourlet & Sons, Ltd.

17 &XXXXX Mortimer Street, W1

FRAME DAMAGED WHEN RECEIVED.

Date: 7/5/68 From: Royal Academy

Signature: BMR

JAMES BOURLET & SONS LTD

Fine Art Packers, Frame Makers.

N58256

17 &XXXXX/p>

Mortimer Street. W

Phones - Museum 1871 & 7588.

Hope this helps in your investigating..

Lorraine

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan
I have mailed you a couple of times today, not sure if you have received anything?

Lorraine
Thank you for your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer Lorraine.

Using several of my resources that contain over 500,000 artists to look into your inquiry, I was able to find that the piece you have here is by what is known an unlisted artist. An unlisted artist is usually an unknown local artist or an aspiring artist. Given the age of the piece, I have to assume the artist falls under the first category.
Searching auction house records and library databases provided recent sales results of qualified market comparable items. Using these I was able to determine the average market value minimum and maximum for you.

These recent completed sales gave your Phillip Berrill a current market value of $120 - $210.
As always, the price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more.

I would recommend a starting asking price of $250 - $300 so that you can reduce if necessary since Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. Please let me know if you would like Insurance value as well.

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for and reply with any questions now or any time in the future. If you are satisfied, please let me know by rating my answer for my compensation and to close out the question. Thank you kindly Lorraine.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items, just say Hello Alan at the beginning of your new question. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Appraiser Alan

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer
Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan
I looking for your expertise again, on another item.
If your able to help?

Lorraine
Of Course Lorraine! Please make sure to request me in your new question!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan
I have a Poole pottery vase, it has the Poole stamp on its bottom and it also has 'c s' with an x underneath the letters...in fact it could be an, e.
It has flowers on it, in different colours..blues, green, yellow, violet and rose pink. I know it's about 50 + years old..as my mum bought it in a auction when she was 21... I think she paid 4 guineas.
Hope you can help.

Lorraine
Thank you for the new item Lorraine! Auction house records and library databases provided recent sales results of qualified market comparable items. Using these I was able to determine the average market value minimum and maximum for you.

These recent completed sales gave your Poole pottery vase a current market value of $35 - $70.

I would recommend a starting asking price of $80 - $100 so that you can reduce if necessary since Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. Please let me know if you would like Insurance value as well.

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for and reply with any questions now or any time in the future. If you are satisfied, please let me know by rating my answer for my compensation and to close out the question. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,

Appraiser Alan

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer