Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

Old print (have photos) Edwin landseer print value please -

Old print (have photos) Edwin landseer print value please - frame is old plaster
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you assess your Landseer print.

What is the size?

A full shot of the artwork with frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

You can email your images [email protected]

When you send your photos to that email address, please write “For Nora/Antiques” in the re: line and request that email be forwarded to me.

Please note, photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

-OR-

A super easy, fast method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Nora, thank you for your prompt reply and as requested please find detailed below the info as requested...

Frame is 2ft by 3ft attached photo having trouble uploading photo
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

What method are you trying to use to get a photo on here?

~Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just from the iPad
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

I have noted that customer's in the past have had some problems sharing photos using an iPad - although I am not a tech support person, so my scope is limited here on that front.

Are you using Firefox as your browser on your iPad?

Did you try emailing? and if so, did you email from the address you used to sign in to justanswer.com?

Did you try to go to imgur.com and drag the photos from your iPad to their site?

~Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://imgur.com/nYIq1tW http://imgur.com/v6lf3w2 hi Nora, wallah think I have become all techi with the the uploading of photos
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

Excellent work with the photos - welcome to the tech world ;)

A few questions, is the border around the image a matte frame or is it all one sheet. Meaning is the border a piece on top of the picture or not?

As well, if you look at the lower left and lower right corners of the image, is there any small print indicating the publisher and engraver?

Thanks and I will look forward to more information from you.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Nora, thanks again for your response, no there is no border seems to be printed on canvas and will upload photo of the back of the print
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BBCode (message boards & forums)

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the image of the back of the print.

The detail matches the original painting and more than likely produced by the intaglio print process known as ‘photogravure’ and then colored in or as a chromolithograph.

The frame dates to the turn of the 20th century.

A company named W.D. & HO Wills from Bristol & London did produce a series of 50 different photogravure prints between 1901-1917. This image of Shoeing the Bay Mare was No. 12 in their series.

The image itself is of a Mr. Jacob Bell with his favorite mare, “Old Batty”. The original painting by Landseer is in the National Gallery in London.

Landseer would not have had a personal hand in the making of this print. Publishers either bought rights, or if out of realm of copyright, simply published and sold images as they pleased.

On today’s market, this larger size early 20th century color print in original frame would carry an estimate of $150 - $300.

Feel free if you have further questions about your item.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No thank you Nora, your answers have been excellent and yup promise to ask for you if I have any more questions. Many thanks carol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

I am not sure if this was a mistake, but you relisted the question on here and gave the reason as an incomplete answer. This opens the question back up to all the experts.

Let me know, please.

~Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure my messages are getting thro
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Carol,

This recent message just came through.

Maybe its not available on the ipad - but if you scroll up you should see our discussion thread in its entirety.

~Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.