Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have a painting named emerald city by Kevin Sharkey it is

I have a painting named emerald city by Kevin Sharkey it is oil on mdf on back of picture it says original but looking on line I see the same painting marked original oil on canvas I intend to sell my painting how do I find out which is the original and what value would you think?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you assess your artwork by Kevin Sharkey.

What is the size?

Would it be possible for you to send me photos?

A full shot of the artwork with frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

You can attach photos using the paperclip icon in the toolbar below (available in the Firefox browser only)

-OR-

You can email your images [email protected]

When you send your photos to that email address, please write “For Nora/Antiques” in the re: line and request that email be forwarded to me.

Please note, photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

-OR-

A super easy, fast method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

I received the images of your painting by Kevin Sharkey (b. 1961). You have the original painting.

Sharkey, who works in the style of Gerhardt Richter, is considered a contemporary artist. Traditionally most Contemporary Artists do not have auction sales history, however Sharkey does. Prices for his works are still higher at primary gallery than secondary sale. Meaning, it costs more to buy his paintings at a gallery when they are fresh to the market than it is when the painting is re-sold at auction.

If you sell your painting, it will be a secondary market sale. When it was purchased at ThatGallery, it was a primary market sale.

His highest re-sale price at auction so far is 700Euro. That was just last month and it was against an 800 – 1200Euro estimate. His estimates at auction tend to remain fairly conservative in 300 – 400Euro range and his auction sales average between 200 – 300euro.

Here is a list I have made for you of the auction companies who have handled works by Sharkey

Morgan O'Driscoll XXXXX
County Cork
Skibbereen
Ireland
Phone: 353 28 22338/21183 [email protected]
www.morganodriscoll.com/

Mullen's Laurel Park
Old Bray Road
Woodbrook
Bray
Ireland
Phone: 353-1-2826107 [email protected]
www.mullenslaurelpark.com

Ross's (XXXXX XXXXX & Co) XXXXX
Belfast
Ireland
Phone: +44 (0)28 9032 5448 [email protected]
www.rosss.com

It is free to contact auction houses and get an estimate for sale. You can contact each auction house through their website. You will send them photos and information. You would not be obligated to sell with any of them. Please bear in mind that estimates will vary from each business, and that the highest estimate is not necessarily a guarantee of a sale.

Contact all of them, if possible for you, regardless of the company location. This will also help you get a consensus opinion on the value and estimates. Approach each one as if you are interested in selling through them. Auction houses take a percentage of the final sale price, so it is in their best interest to sell it for a premium bid.

Feel free if you have further questions about your painting.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marie~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora