Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have 34 religious prints plossible 1930s some Enid Blyton

I have 34 religious prints plossible 1930's some Enid Blyton some with the signiture XXXXX XXXXX some damage to bordersWant to sell them in aid of a church fund.Any interest.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing us.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to see if I can help.

Are you looking for help with the values of your prints or are you looking to see if someone here would buy them?

~Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Diana.In tend to try to get the most value out of these prints as the 'money will go to my Church.Wouldconsider either option. eed some advice.Thanks for helping. Beryl.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
HI Beryl.

I'll be glad to help.

We aren't allowed to purchase customer's items, but I can help you figure out places to sell them.

Can you tell me a bit more about them? What general size are they? Are they black and white or colored? Are they hand signed (like with a pencil) or are the signatures printed? Are they framed?

If you could send photos of them, that would be the fastest way for me to give you values.

When you're able, here's a few different methods of how can send photos:

1)
In this message box, you will see a paper clip or Tree or Camera at the top. Click it.

Then click on browse and another box will open up. Click on browse in that box. This will take you to the photos on your computer.

Click on the one you want to send. Double click on the image.

You'll be taken back to the upload box. Click OK. You'll be taken back to your original box.

Click Insert and you should be able to see the picture in the message area before you send it to me.

Here's another way that works really well:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

As a last resort, you can email them:

Email the pictures to [email protected]. They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up for Just Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Diana.Will do my best to answer your questions,yes they are in colour also the size of them is 21"x17". I have taken photos (my camara is not too good) but have tried. You will see I have tried to give you the damage to edges.XXXXX XXXXX is a printed word not a signiture.There are 10 Enid Blyton prints of the New testement.2 of the Old Testement. 17 Bible Pictures with XXXXX XXXXXs name on. There are 5 other Bible prints some with Mcmillans name on, these are the printers name.you will see they are not Framed.There is a very battered old case they came in. If they sell I would want the money to go to my Church as they are working with men on the Streets.Yours sincerely. Beryl Photos to follow.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Beryl.

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of taking photos and thanks for all the extra information.

Here's the ways to send them again.

1)

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
3. Click "Start Upload".

As a last resort, you can email them:

I'll keep my eye out for them.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Diana.I have tried all the methods you suggest to send Religious Pics to you,unfortunately didnt work. when my daughter comes tomorrow Wednesday I will get some help.Thought I managedto send you 2 lots but it appears not. Sorry dont give up on me.Its one of the probs with getting tobe over 80.Sincerely Beryl.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
HI Beryl.

There's no rush. I'm in no hurry. Emailing them will probably be your best bet for getting them to me.

Just take your time. Smile

If you need any help just let me know.

Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Diana. Did you get the pictures we sent you? A problem I have is as the money from the any sale of the pictures is to go to my Church I dont want to pay my Direct debit to your firm if there is no result. The first Direct debit has already been stopped.Would you be kind enough to let me know if there seems to be any interest in these Religious Prints?Sincerely BerylCotton (I signed in asCustomer

Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
HI Beryl.

I haven't gotten any of the pictures for some reason.

I can understand about the money, but I don't handle any of the actual money with the acccounts. If you want, I can have customer service contact you to discuss any debits.

I can also ask them to take a look and see if they might have the pictures.

~Diana
Expert:  Diana F. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Beryl.

I got your pictures. Thank you so much. =)

They look great.

Enid Blyton was a British children's author. She also wrote under the alias Mary Pollock. She was mostly prolific from about the 20s to 60s. She never actually created any of her own artwork, but worked with a lot of highly regarded illustrators and painters on her books. XXXXX XXXXX was one of those illustrators.

XXXXX XXXXX was a midcentury freelance artist and illustrator. He mostly collaborated and provided illustrations for Blyton's religious books. His biggest job was for her Bible Stories - Old Testament. It looks like your prints came from that book series.

They were used as teaching aids for bible classes.

In the late 50s/early 60s Macmillan actually used the full-colour plates from the original set and included them in smaller books alongside Blyton's text. They were published as Old Testament Picture Books (volumes 1 and 2) and New Testament Picture Books (volumes 1 and 2).

They were also sold as boxed sets of artwork by Macmillan...which is where your prints most likely originally came from. They should date to the 40s/50s.

The prints themselves aren't that rare. They were pretty heavily printed and published, but they do still carry a bit of value. Most of these prints run about £5 to £10 each in good shape and those that have damage (like tears, stains, etc) tend to run about £2 to £4 each. Ones that are heavily damaged will be a lot harder to sell. They also tend to be worth more as individual prints than as one big collection. As a set---a collection of about 34 should be worth about £65 to £110

Since you're looking to raise funds for your church, I don't believe I'd even consider someplace like Ebay. Ebay is extremely iffy when it comes to artwork. You could try Rubylane. They are more of an upscale online antique shop and sellers do list higher end antique prints there.

There's also Etsy, which does allow you sell worldwide and their rates are the lowest around.

Since you're in the UK, local press is a good way to go. You can also try Gumtree, classifieds.co.uk, ukclassifieds.co.uk, and adoos.co.uk.

You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out.These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great weekend!

~Diana

Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.