Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

What might be the value of the eight volume set of Gibbons

Customer Question

What might be the value of the eight volume set of Gibbon's "Decline and Fall..." published in 1828 in their original leather bindings, and as far as i can ascertain, in pretty good condition?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is Nora, and I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help with your book set.

In order to ascertain the value, I will need to know the publisher name inside this volume set.

I look forward to reading back from you with the information.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on the front page it simply says; London: printed for T.Cadwell; C and J.Rivington; J.Cuthwell and some 20 others including J.Parker, oxford; J.J, Deighton, Cambridge and A.Black, and J.Fairbairn, Edinburgh.

and below the engraving on the page facing the title, it says " Published "March 8th, 1828 by T.Cadwell, Strand, London

on the previous, otherwise blank sheet, it says "Printed Thomas Davison, Whitefriars

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi John~

Thank you for the information and a pleasure to read back from you here.

You have an early later printing set of volumes of Gibbon’s History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

The first abrdiged edition was published in 2 volumes in 1789 and printed for G. Kearsley. That set sells for $1850 - $2350. On today’s market your later private printing is still an early 19th century set that retails for $350 - $600.

Feel free if you have further questions about your book set.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora