Kim D.
Kim D., Antiques Expert & Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Object Expert, CAGA, AOA, Certified Appraiser
49865320

I have two framed oil paintings entitled Dapres by FH Kaemmerer

Customer Question

I have two framed oil paintings entitled Dapres by FH Kaemmerer a dutch artists. They are painted on what looks like a wooden lid. Do they have any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field much it with high quality fine art. These oil on panel paintngs by Frederick Hendrik Kaemmerer (1839 - 1902) could well be fairly valuable. The artists market value has been strong for a few years now.

Are these signed? What is their size..frame or mount?

Do you have images to share? This would help greatly.

You can attach some more images here with the paperclip icon tool or try our email which goes through our support staff.

Send images to: [email protected]

"Kim D. in antiques" in the subject line will help the support team find me.

I look forward to hearing from you..these sound interesting!
Kim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2014-04-03_105732_dapres2.docx

Kim

I enclose copies of the 2 paintings, both of which measure 51/2" x 33/4" or 140 x 95. I have copied them to microsoft word, which I hope is OK.

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Stuart - Thank you for your efforts to share images.

I have one image here of a group with a baby. Is there another link that I am missing?

What is the condition. It looks like there is some loss and fading.

These are very large but it is hard to tell in the image. Are the panels flat? Could they be framed?

I will look forward to hearing more and seeing the other work.

Where did you get these?

Kim D.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kim

They are originally in black wooden frames, but I took them out to photograph them. They are flat and their sizes are only 51/2 inches by 33/4 inches. They where given to me by my parents and I think they were originally owned by my grandparents. I enclose second copy because it appears only one copy was sent. If necessary, I can re-photograph them to send you better images.

Attachment: 2014-04-03_113717_dapres2.docx

Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Stuart - This shows me only one painting as well of the group with a woman and baby.

Can you try just the other image and sending that link?

I see the sizes now. Can you tell me the condition..are these faded and have pigment loss. It is hard to ascertain.
Kim
Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the emails Stuart. They help greatly and I see two paintings "before and after." The artist did like these types of sets of paintings

The condition is of utmost concern here. As what I see is hard to tell. This will make the difference between a Kaemmerer that is very high or a Kaemmerer that is more moderate in value.

Thank you for the additional information.
Kim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kim

I have sent more images. They are in good condition and a better definition than the camera picks up. I have replaced them in their original frames to give you an image of how they look when hung.

Stuart

Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Stuart - Thank you. The images help greatly and these do look much better in the frame.

The signature is definitely accurate to Frederick Hendrik Kaemmerer (1839 - 1902) as well as the hand. I always like to check my signature databases and I have many examples of Kaemmerers hand.

These are very small but sweet as a set. Although they do look better in the images you sent the panel does seem to be absorbing certain pigments differently (browns, skin tones etc) it maybe the prep of the board and acidic nature of the mount. This would affect their sales numbers.

All in all studying the 2013 markets and the last few years these would have a fair market value (based on similar size and compositions by the artist)in the range of 1200.00-1500.00 (USD) each or the set would be in the range of 2400.00-3000.00 (USD)currently at high end auction.

I would highly suggest taking this to a conservation lab to see if this needs stabilization. There is little that can be done to reverse the issues..and restoration of course would be not desirable on such nice piece. Their maybe some basic housing issues that could stop any additional air and acid issues that are causing the slow change in pigment.

I would put here an offer to help you find a few labs not far away if that is of interest. I certainly understand, if not. These are nice examples of the artists work and there maybe little to do other than keep them out of the light and possibly frame them in a stabile climate.

All my best with these little scenes!
Kim D.
PS If you have other items of interest please remember my name. Any post addressed to “Kim D” at the head of the question will be sent to my inbox so I can help my return patrons first!

I would be more than happy to work with you again!

Experience: 25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Object Expert, CAGA, AOA, Certified Appraiser
Expert:  Kim D. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Stuart. The additional offer tool seems to not be attached here.

If you have any interest in finding some labs to take a look at these, it would be a worthy thing to do. I do know conservation labs throughout the UK.

Just start a new question addressed to Kim D. and tell me where you are located or the largest cities nearby and I will give you some options to choose from.

Best wishes!
Kim