Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

I have an original ink painting which appears to be very old and is a classical architectural drawing (a Gothic archway with a man also in the picture). The painting clearly bears the initials AMW and is also signed in pencil underneath, Alfred M Williams. The underside of the backing has half a label clearly showing what appears to be the frame maker's address, Victoria Street E.C.4 Could you give me some advice of how to go about getting this valued please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Yes, I would still like assistance from one of the experts please. I'm fascinated to know more and if my picture is of any value. I've tried to research the artist on the internet, but the only Alfred M. Williams I could find was an Irish poet and a promoter of Irish cultural heritage. I do have photographs of the ink drawing/painting if you need to see them.

Many thanks,

Wendy XXX

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Wendy.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to see if I can help.

Offhand, there is no artist listed by that name, but that doesn't mean it's a dead end just yet.

Do you have a photo of the piece and close ups of the signature that you can send?

When you're able, here's a few different methods of how can send photos:

1)
In this message box, you will see a paper clip or Tree or Camera at the top. Click it.

Then click on browse and another box will open up. Click on browse in that box. This will take you to the photos on your computer.

Click on the one you want to send. Double click on the image.

You'll be taken back to the upload box. Click OK. You'll be taken back to your original box.

Click Insert and you should be able to see the picture in the message area before you send it to me.

Here's another way that works really well:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

As a last resort, you can email them:

Email the pictures to [email protected]. They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up for Just Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Diana

Trying to attach photos now. Please let me know if you receive them.Picture 1Picture 2

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Wendy.

Thanks. Those look great. Let me take a look and see if I can find the artist. It could take awhile, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Thanks again.
Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Diana

Much appreciated.

Wendy XXX

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
It's no problem. =)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Diana,

Just wondering if you've managed to track down any information regarding my picture.

Many thanks,

Wendy XXX

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Wendy.

I haven't been able to find an artist by that name. That's not entirely uncommon.Out of the thousands of artists very few have ever been recorded, but I'm still searching for a match.

~Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Diana

There was an auctioneer in my local area who offered to take a look at the picture free of charge today. I received the information I needed but very grateful for your help.

Many thanks,

Wendy XXX

Expert:  Diana F. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Wendy.

It's no problem. I'm glad you were able to get help. I'll be sure to pass this on and let customer service know that you no longer need help.

~Diana