Michelle
Michelle, Antique Researcher
Experience:  Over 30 yrs exp., Columnist, antiques journalist, dealer, expert
52213563

we have what appears to be a jewellery box. On the lid is a

we have what appears to be a jewellery box. On the lid is a central motief which looks like two initials, they look like a capital J and a capital G except both tails curl right back round to the stem (if that makes sense). Below the letters is what appears to be the roman numeral for 2.
Surrounding this centre display are yellow diamond shapes with what looks like a two headed bird symbol (the heads are facing in opposite directions). There is what looks like a crown resting on the birds heads.

There is a square mark on the base of the box which I can only describe as looking like a squiggly line with arms and feet surrounded by flower heads.

Any ideas as to its origin would be appreciated.

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Michelle :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you.

Michelle :

It would be most helpful if I could see a photo of the box. You can upload one from your computer by clicking on the paperclip icon just above the box you type into. If you have difficulty with uploading a photo please let me know.

Michelle :

Also, if you could please let me know the dimensions and what the interior looks like.

Michelle :

Thank you, Michelle

Customer:

Hi Michelle,

Customer:

Attached are photos of the box.

Michelle :

Did you upload them here? I am not seeing them.

Michelle :

Here is another option -

Michelle :

email photos [email protected] [email protected] with my name, "Michelle in antiques and appraisals" and they will be forwarded to me. It can take several hours for me to get the photos depending upon how busy the site is. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Customer:

The interior is lined with what appears to be a silk material. The box is oval in shape approx. 10 inches across by 7 inches wide

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Michelle :

Ah, here they are.

Customer:

Hi Michelle,

Michelle :

Michelle :

Do you have one showing the entire box?

Michelle :

Are there any markings on the underside?

Michelle :

I see the description of the marks on the bottom, a photo of the bottom would be helpful too.

Customer:

The box is oval in shape approx. 10 inches across by 7 wide. The interior is lined with a silk type material. exterior photo attached

Customer:

attached is photo of underside

Michelle :

The photos are slow in loading as I can only see the two close-ups.

Michelle :

Do you have a picture of the entire box that I can see?

Michelle :

I am going to close this window and come back as that seems to bring the pictures up.

Michelle :

I will be back in a moment and see if the photos pop up.

Customer:

whole box photo attached

Michelle :

I am not sure what the problem is but I can still only see the first two close-up pictures.

Michelle :

I will refresh the page again and see if they show up if that does not work I will switch to a different format of the page.

Michelle :

Thank you, Michelle

Michelle :

I might end up having to get you to email them to me using the above method.

Michelle :

I am still not able to view the photos, other than the two close-ups, so could you please email them [email protected] [email protected] with my name, "Michelle in antiques and appraisals" and they will be forwarded to me. It can take several hours for me to get the photos depending upon how busy the site is. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Michelle :

Thank you, Michelle

Customer:

I have sent e-mail with photos attached to experts@ just answer.....have not had any feed back from this yet???/

Customer:

I will also try to reload via this message board

Michelle :

I will recheck my email and if that fails we do have one other option.

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

I have switched to a different format of the page to see if this helps.

We will get this done.

Thank you, Michelle

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.
I just received the photos of this beautiful piece.

If you don't mind sending me a picture of the inside I am curious to see the quality of the interior.

Can you tell me how and where you acquired this piece, if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you, Michelle
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I am so excited to share the information that I found on your jewelry/glove box.

Straight away I saw the Russian Imperial Eagle (the eagle with the two heads) as the design and recognized the monogram this is why I asked for so many additional photos. I have been fascinated with the Romanov family since I was very young and knew this was the monogram for Tsar Nicholas II

Around 1897 the Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna gave Tsar Nicholas II a snuff box as a coronation gift. The original was made by Faberges and here is a link where you can see the original box - http://www.faberge-exhibition.com/g6_1.html

The monogram in the center is that of Nicholas II. As you will notice on the original snuff box there are diamonds inset in to the crossed corners and all over the monogram. The original was also made of gold hued enamel over guilloché sunburst patterns whereas your item is porcelain or enamel it is difficult to tell from the photos.

In 2001, Artoria Limoges, the largest manufacturer of porcelain giftware in Limoges, France, signed an exclusive licensing agreement with The Forbes Collection to manufacture reproductions of its priceless items. The Forbes Collection has the world's largest private collection of Imperial Russian Fabergé eggs as well as numerous other treasures including the snuff box.

This collection very closely imitated the original pieces but crystals were used instead of diamonds.

Your piece is not one of the Artoria items and I could not track down the mark on the bottom as being a decorator's mark for Faberge but all is not lost. My trail went cold when trying to trace any further reproductions and I feel pretty certain that Faberge would not release the copyright on this design but I cannot prove that it was made by Artoria, there is limited information available for this company.

It is a beautiful copy of an iconic item and while it is not encrusted in diamonds or crystals it is still pretty amazing.

The resale value in a private sale, antique shop or other non-auction venue would be $300-350 USD

I am going to continue to look for the mark on the bottom and see if I can trace further production of this piece to see who might have made it. My gut tells me that Artoria made a less expensive version for the masses but I would like to see documentation of this.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about your item or the information and value I have given you. I am here to work with you to fully respond to your question.

Thank you, Michelle

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. If you feel the need to give me a low rating I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you to resolve any issues to earn a higher rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for work you have done to date.

Hopefully I will have been able to attach photos of inside of box, if not then I will send them via just ask e-mail address.

Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.
No worries on the interior of the box.

It is too large to be a snuff box so it was used to hold jewelry, trinkets or anything else one wanted to place in it.

With it having originally been made for a man it could be used to hold all of the things a man puts in his pocket.

It is an absolutely beautiful piece.

Please let me know if I can assist you further or if you have additional questions for me about this beautiful item.

My best, Michelle