Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a piece of silver with the makers mark L & W. There

I have a piece of silver with the maker's mark L & W. There is also a date mark which is an "S". There are no other marks.
Known to have been given as a wedding present at the beginning of the 20th century.

Am curious to know who the maker was. Can you help?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to help you. I am a silver specialist.

Iam going to need a photo of your marks to identify the maker/time period.

These are the ways to send me photos:

You may use this method:

Go to www.imgur.com

click on Computer

Select the picture file from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

OR,

Photobucket.com works about the same way as Imgur.com

OR,

You can use the paper clip icon at the top of your “reply” box to insert your photos directly into your “reply” box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Silver mark Hope this is clear enough.

David.

Expert:  Doris replied 3 years ago.
David,
Your photo may show on your computer but it did not come through the JA system.

Please contact customer service [email protected] and they will guide you through the process of sending photos through the system.

I look forward to seeing them.

Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

silver mark

Expert:  Doris replied 3 years ago.
David,

Thank you for the photo of your mark.

After some time researching, I found the mark to be that of George Shadford Lee & Henry Wigfull of Sheffield, England.
They entitled their firm - "Manufacturing Silversmith, Electro Plater and Britannia Metal Smith."
The "S" does not represent a date letter. It is merely part of their mark to distinguish their wares from other makers with marks "L&W."

Your mark was used on their electroplated silver goods while they were active 1879-1898.

Electroplating from Sheffield makers is not "Old Sheffield Plate." Old sheffield plate was formed by a different handmade process approximately 1740-1850s.

I hope this helps you better understand your piece of history.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

If you would like for me to answer your future questions, you must put my name - DORIS - at the first of the question for the question to be assured of getting to me.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty with photos - this are beyond my control.

Kind regards,

Doris

“Dfm925”

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.