Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have an old French costume book. Its well over 100 years

Customer Question

I have an old French costume book. It's well over 100 years old. Would it be worth anything
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is Nora, and I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help with your book.

In order to ascertain the value, I will need to know the full title, author (or editors), publisher name and the latest year printed inside this volume.

I look forward to reading back from you with the information.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is called "Le Costume" chez Les Peuples ancient et Modernes. Nouvelle serie. It was presented to my great uncle in 1907. (edituer) 140 Faubourg St Martin, Paris.

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Elaine~

Thank you for the information and a pleasure to read back from you here.

You have a late 19th century single volume edition of Les Costume Chez Les Peuples Anciens et Modernes Nouvelle Serie by Frederic Hottenroth & John Bernhoff that was published in Paris by Armand Guerinet.

The original edition was done in 2 volumes, and that set sells for an average of $400. Your Nouvelle Serie edition sells for a high retail of $160 on today’s market.

Feel free if you have further questions about your book.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is just stuck in a cupboard and I need the space.Where would be a good place to get rid of it?

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Elaine,

Pleasure to read back from you here.

I completely understand the commodity for more space in one’s home.

If interested in selling this, it does not quite hit the price point for specialty rare and antique book auction companies.

There are several ways to sell your book. You can go through a local antique shop or local auction houses. Pawn shops are good for an outright cash sale.

A shop takes in inventory to sell for a profit, so they will offer you a percentage of the price at which they may be able to sell to a willing buyer someday.

An auction house will take a percentage of whatever the end sale price may be.

Another option would be to list your items on Craigslist yourself at a fair price. Craigs is free and they do not take a fee, so that is where you will make the most out of the end price. I do suggest, that if a buyer contacts you through Craigs, that you meet them at an agreed upon location - I do not recommend letting a stranger meet you at your home.

Online auction options would be Ebay, Etsy & Amazon. Though bear in mind, those options involve packing and shipping.

An additional method would be to donate it to a local charity shop where you will receive a tax deduction receipt in return. You can then claim the deduction when your 2014 taxes are filed.

Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Elaine,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your book?

Cheers,
Nora