LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

Hello. I have a six sided vase, approx. 6in tall and 2.25in

Hello. I have a six sided vase, approx. 6in tall and 2.25in wide. The detail on the vase is of oriental origin and I believe is screen printed. The design has songbirds astride sedges/flowers and in light brown/gold colours with a white background. I believe the material is porcelain. On the base it has what I believe is a date stamp of four Chinese/Japanese characters, two of which resemble the letter B, the letter having an elongated vertical stroke. Any possible ideas please ?

Kind regards, Clive
Category: Antiques
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

LadyTanya65 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the expert appraisers here at just answer. From the measurements and description what you have is a brush holder. Oriental and more modern then not. The screen print was done in in 1940-1960s and birds/flowers design was common during this time. The size 6" tall by 2.25" wide is an average size for being a brush holder on a scholars desk. This kept your calligraphy brushes in good shape and would have been placed within the holder with the bristles up and pointed. I believe it to be Japanese by the color and characters you have noted. The value on the piece would be 50-75.00 in United kingdom currency. Thank you and if I may be of further help just let me know. Tanya