Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an oil painting signed what appears to be the initials

Customer Question

I have an oil painting signed what appears to be the initials J.A.T. February 1931. It is a portrait painting. Do you have any idea who the artist is. It is a very accomplished work.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is Nora, and I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you assess your artwork.

Generally, in the art world, paintings with initials are usually not identified and tend to be unlisted and/or hobbyist artists; some which tend to be more accomplished than others.

Valuations of such paintings would be based on age, condition, size, subject matter and mastery. I could help establish the value for you, but not identify the name of the person with the initials J.A.T. who executed the painting.

If you would like a valuation, then I would need to see photos.

A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.

Please let me know if you can provide images and I will send you the steps for sharing pictures here.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ye I could send some images

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Great!

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

-OR-

A super easy, fast method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora