Kim D.
Kim D., Antiques Expert & Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Object Expert, CAGA, AOA, Certified Appraiser
49865320

I have a very old book of monarchs from Julius Caesar to King

Customer Question

I have a very old book of monarchs from Julius Caesar to King George II, not in good condition though, printed in 1750
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare in good condition
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field. I am happy to help.

I am a bit concerned about the condition of the monarchs edition..what does not in good condition mean? and do you have a publisher?

Leather - full calf correct? number of pages?

For clarity too what is the full title of the poor condition book?

"The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" What publisher and date? Leather? illustrated? Any further information as to page numbers to help narrow which of the many many complete works of Shakespeare?

One volume or part of a set?

Thank you so much for the rest of the information!
Kim D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kim

I am assuming that the publishers is Selfridges but cannot find a date. date on the works of William Shakespeare but it is dedicated to Sir XXXXX XXXXXg. It has 1312 pages and there are some illustrations. I don't know if it is leather. It has all the plays in it so I would assume one volume.

As for the book on Monarchs, it is written by Dr. Howell and printed in 1750, from Julius Caesar to George II. I'm afraid the outer covers are detached from the book itself and being so old some of the pages might not be perfect. The text is printed in columns, I don't know who the publisher is I'm afraid. There are 647 pages then a few pages of the Index. I guess being in poor condition it probably isn't worth much.

thank you

Sherry Clarke

Expert:  Kim D. replied 3 years ago.
Sherry - Thank you for your patience. I have some good news and some fair news.

This poor condition example of the 1750 edition of "Medulla historiae Anglicanae. Being a comprehensive history of the lives and reigns of the monarchs of England. From the time of ... Julius Caesar, to ... King William and Queen Mary ..." does have some very good value and many on the markets are in this fair condition...some have been sensitively repaired and this does enhance the value.

The book was republished and republished time and again every from the late 17th century through the mid 18th century. There are a good many examples on the market and in archives Worldwide with so many editions but the 4th edition is the earliest that I have found in 1694 so this gives you a sense of where 1750 editions stand.

What is good to see however is that these early surveys by William Howell retain good value as they do have collectors interest and this edition (in this state) would have a current market value of 300.00-350.00 (USD). Thus a restoration by a good binder would be worth looking into..as this seems to enhance the value by150.00-200.00 (USD).

The second book "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" in good condition unfortunately is quite common by the date that it was published in London by Selfridges& Co. around 1910. The company according to library archives records was active as a publisher between 1909 and 1914 so this narrows the date and archival repositories attribute 1910 to this edition. The market however of Shakespeare compilations is a bit moderate Worldwide as every home library in the Victorian and Edwardian period had these and they were popular as gifts and home editions. Thus most popular publishers put out an edition of Shakespeare works from the mid 19th through the first quarter of the 20th century.

This particular Edwardian volume shows a current rare book value in the range of 25.00-35.00 (USD) in this very good shape. So it is a bit modest unfortunately but the condition does enhance the value and interest as well as the illustrations.

I hope this is more helpful than disappointing...and I am glad that you did not discard the early poor condition edition over the better condition Shakespeare. If you are interested in a book restorer or book binder in your region, I would be happy to assist with this as well. I do know US book binders well but many object conservators in the UK too. Please let me know your location and I will see if I can assist. I will place an additional offer incase that is of interest..no problem if not. It will just make it easy to find me if you ever return and want to discuss it.

All my best,
Kim D.

PS If you have other items of interest please remember my name. Any post addressed to “Kim D” at the head of the question will be sent to my inbox so I can help my return patrons first!

I would be more than happy to work with you again!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help Kim, I live in west London, but would need to decide how much it would cost to repair the book.

Sherry

Expert:  Kim D. replied 3 years ago.
Sherry - You will have to call each of these labs and discuss their prices as US prices may not compare and I am not looking at the issues of your particular volume.

In my region to repair the spine and reattach the covers would be in the range of 120.00-140.00 (USD)(I do assist a book binder in my free time!) but again the leather issues and the fragility of the paper would all play into the difficulty in doing this so keep an open mind and see what each of these binders and conservators would charge.

Here are a number to choose from as I wasn't quite sure of your location and you may like one over another and be willing to travel a bit for the service. (I like options too!)

All my best with this. I applaud your willingness to preserve this 18th century edition. A worthy thing to do!

Kim D.

Codex Conservation
Ann-XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
Herne Hill
London
SE24 9PX
Contact Telephone: 07958 003542
Contact Email:[email protected]
Website: http://www.codexconservation.com

The Leather Conservation Centre
Ms Yvette Fletcher
Northampton University Campus
Boughton Green Road
Northampton
Northamptonshire
England
NN2 7AN
Contact Telephone: +44(0)1604 719766
Contact Email:[email protected]
Website: http://www.leatherconservation.org

R & L Lancefield
Mr Rex Lancefield
Units 5 and 6 Botley Mills
Botley
Southampton
Hampshire
England
SO30 2GB
Contact Telephone: +44(0)1489 783366
Contact Email:[email protected]
Website: http://www.lancefieldconservation.co.uk

Book and Paper Conservation
Miss Moira Buick

23a Freeland Place
Hotwells
Bristol
England
BS8 4NP

Contact Telephone: +44(0)117 9291 914
Expert:  Kim D. replied 3 years ago.
Sherry - I am just following up to see if you had any questions. My aim is excellent customer service and I am always concerned when I don't hear from my patrons.

What more can I tell you?

If you do not have further questions, would you please rate my service at no additional cost to you? The site credits us for working with our clients based on the received rating. This helps us provide the best service possible.

Thank you so much!
Kim D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kim

Thank you very much for your help, I live in Middlesex so the book repair people you have given me are quite some distance away from me. At least it has given me an idea as to what they are worth. Sherry

Expert:  Kim D. replied 3 years ago.
Sherry - I thought you mentioned West London. Is this part of London?