Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Certified & Licensed
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

what is the value of an original water colour by rowland hilder

what is the value of an original water colour by rowland hilder called awakening spring
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been asked to assist you!
I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster, Accredited AOA Appraiser, and an IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be my pleasure to put my expertise, libraries & resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question regarding your Rowland Hilder water colour. Thank you very much! I believe I will be able to help, but first I have to get a little more information from you.
What are the measurements of this piece, height and width of the work itself not counting any framing?

Does it appear to be hand signed by the artist? Is there any edition number also hand written on the work?

Are you looking to sell or insure this piece?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approx 42cm x 52 cm appears to be hand signed and has number 79 on the back next to the name of the painting

Thank you Kevin! I will continue work on research into this for you immediately and will be back with your answer as soon as I have completed it. This process may take a little time so if you choose to leave this window, you will be emailed any time I respond. You will always be able to follow the emails link back to this page at any time. Thank you again for your question. I hope to have everything taken care of for you soon!
Thank you for your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer Kevin.

Searching auction house records and library databases provided recent sales results of qualified market comparable items. Using these I was able to determine the average market value minimum and maximum for you.

These recent completed sales show Hilder watercolors have a current sales rate per square inch of £6.11 on average. Given the size of your piece, these gave your watercolor titled Awakening Spring by Rowland Hilder a current market value of £1,660 - £2,066.
As always, the price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more.

I would recommend a starting asking price of £2,150 so that you can reduce if necessary since Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. Please let me know if you would like Insurance value as well.

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for and reply with any questions now or any time in the future. If you are satisfied, please let me know by rating my answer for my compensation and to close out the question. Thank you kindly Kevin.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items, just say Hello Alan at the beginning of your new question. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Appraiser Alan

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello alan did the number 79 relate to anything

Hello Kevin, thank you for the follow up. The number 79 was the year your watercolor was painted; 1979.

Rowland Hilder was born in 1905 at Great Neck, Long Island USA. His parents, of Kentish stock, took him back to England in 1915 when he was ten years old. He trained at Goldsmiths' College School of Art, London and then had an active career for more than fifty years. His work was first shown at the Royal Academy in 1923.

Rowland Hilder also was a Professor of Drawing for more than ten years at Goldsmith's College School of Art.

In 1986 Rowland Hilder was awarded the Order of the British Empire.

Hilder died in 1993. There are two books focused on his work, "Rowland Hilders England" and "Rowland Hilder Country". His definitive book on his craft, "Starting in Watercolour" was reissued in an enlarged and revised edition in September 1988.

Of Rowland Hilder's landscape painting, Sir Hugh Casson, Former President of the Royal Academy, wrote: "His style and technique are so recognisable that there are parts of England which - in tribute to his skill - seem to have grown physically like his paintings"

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for and reply with any more questions now or any time in the future. If you are satisfied, please let me know by rating my answer for my compensation and to close out the question. Thank you very much Kevin!

Sincerely,

Alan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the painting has been in the attic for at least 50 years and the painting is in a frame that is sealed and stamped on the bottom w. j. webster 1951 with a crown engraved and initials G R either side of it, this would make it older than 1979

Hello, in this case it can only be assumed that it was the year whomever wrote the title did so. This leads me to believe there is no significance of that number/ date.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there anywhere in the north east that i can take it to see if it is an original or is there anyway i can tell myself

What area are you located in? You should be able to tell yourself though with a magnifying glass. if there are pixels, it is a print.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

middlesbrough, cleveland

I recommend you get in contact with at least one if not all of the following:

Mantle Antiques
35 Roman Road
Middlesbrough
Cleveland
TS5 6DZ
01642 714 313

Alan Ramsey Antiques
7, Wainstones Court Stokesley Business Park
Stokesley, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS9 5JY
01642 711311

I believe they will be able to help you by providing more information on identification, and possibly sale placement. Make sure you always ask for an auction estimate and Do not request an appraisal. This way you will get the best idea of what you can sell for in each area and what you have and really be able to weigh your options.
Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.