Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Hi...i acquired an oil painting papporting to be by the artist

Customer Question

Hi...i acquired an oil painting papporting to be by the artist C. Stanfield (Clarkson Stanfield). Ive checked it out via artnet and found an identical painting with the same signature but of a larger size by him. My picture is old and never been out of its original very heavy, ornate frame. Can you tell me if this artist painted similar pictures of differnt sizes and how do i authenticate the signature?

Thanks,

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard~

My name is Nora, and I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you assess your artwork.

What is the size?

Would it be possible for you to send me photos?

A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

-OR-

A super easy, fast method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you for that...im no technophobe im afraid so it may take a day or two to do! This is a man who still uses a PC with Windows/XP version 2 and cant download pictures onto Ebay!!! Maybe i should go on a course or buy a laptop with Windows 8.1 lol

Regards,

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard,

Pleasure to read back from you here.

That is fine - send over images at your convenience.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

I strongly advise that you go nowhere near Windows 8. It is no cakewalk, and I am being nice only typing that.

I highly recommend a Mac (Apple). Intuitive, simple and rarely gets a virus.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok i will do my best re the photos! And it was Windows 8.1 i was reffering to which is a lot more user friendly than Windows 8! Thank you for your help and advice thus far Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard,

I feel for you using a Windows 8.

Mine is going on the give-away pile!

~Nora