LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a refectory dining table dating from approx 1928 --

I have a refectory dining table dating from approx 1928 -- I have discovered it is riddled with woodworm and am treating it .Is it worth having it restored with a view to selling it along with 4 ladderbck chairs and a ladderback carver chair - none of which have the original rushed seats
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 years ago.

LadyTanya65 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I woul dbe happy to help you. I would need to see the tab;e and chairs to give you an evaluation. Could you post a few photos along with a measurement of the table length and width please? This would help me determine the value. I look forward to helping you Thank You TANYA

Customer:

Hi, thanks for your reply .I'm afraid my table has been taken to bits(it's all wooden joins - no screws) in order to ge treated. I will however try to get photos of at least the legs, which are quite distinctive ,over the weekend when my family is here and able to put them on computer for me . Thanks

LadyTanya65 :

Oh good I shall look for them then this weekend. No problem I am happy to help you. Tanya

Customer:

have attached some pictures - hope they can be of use,thanks again ,i will remember to put on a rating once my enquiry is complete

LadyTanya65 :

Hello, you have a lovely table. Can you give me the length and width measurements of the top please. This is a beautiful table and dates 1890-1920s. I just need to know the measurements to give a value. Thank you for the photos.

LadyTanya65 :

These tables are great tables they were built to last and strong. The carved legs are very nice and yes to restore the table would be worth doing to sell in the future. The chairs are worth about 75.00 to 100.00 each. The carver ladderback chair is worth roughly 125.00-175.00 these values depend on the condition and wood. If they are carved and original the higher values noted would be a good to start the price at.

LadyTanya65 :

I will check back this evening for the measurements and give a value on the table so you will have a full estimate of what the set would be. Thank you for your photos. Tanya

Customer:

Hi Tanya,

Customer:

many thanks for the info -- the top is approx 34" wide x 44" long and the 2 puyll out side leaves are apprtpx

Customer:

sorry my comp skills are not brilliant !! as I was saying the 2 side leaves are approx 13" long x34 " wide each. I have just discovered that one of the legs has a crack in the wood all the way down and as I said the entire table has a lot of woodworm in it which we have now treated. If you think it is still worth restoring - can you recommend anyone in the West of Scotland near Glasgow or give me some idea how to go about finding a reputable company. I look forward to hearing from you and am very pleased with your help so far and will be putting in a high rating on completion of my query.

Customer:

regards Anne

LadyTanya65 :

Hello Anne, I want to be sure I understand the measurements. It measures 34" wide by 44" long and then adding the leaves we have a table 34" wide by 57" long. This is not a Refectory dining table but a kitchen table for food prep and cooking. The tables were extremely long to dine at in monasteries in Medieval times and in the middle ages became feasting tables in castles and noble homes. They were all hand done made of oak or walnut. They lasted over time because they were sturdy and meant to last. These shorter tables were made to handle weight of massive food dishes prepared. The value of the table you have in the condition it is if you just did nothing and put it back together would be 500.00 to 800.00 To clean it and treat it bringing it back to a beautiful refectory table the value would be 1800.00-2500.00 Your table is just under 5 feet long and a dining table is 10-15 feet long. ( 2 to 3 times longer) No matter what it is a true treasure to find a kitchen refectory table. Well worth treating and restoring. If you were to sell it you need to tell the buyer it was treated and restored to bring the life back to the piece. With the one leg having a crack all the way down it would be worth having it taken to a wood craftsman and duplicating the leg from a solid piece of wood. If that cant be done you could use Gorilla glue being very particular to watch the glue that it doesn't expand out and look a mess. I have found that this glue is the best in strength and wear. You would glue the piece and wrap it tightly to secure a strong bind. Once dry unwrap the leg and it should be good to with stand the weight of the table and anything atop the table.

LadyTanya65 :

I have no contacts in Scotland or around Glasgow. I wish I could offer a referral. To find one you want to look for a wood furniture restoration company or a handmade cabinet shop. Ask if they could handle your job. You have all the pieces have treated it for wood worms and now wish to have it restored. It is an antique refectory kitchen table and age is roughly 1870-1900. They would be the ones that could even duplicate the leg if you desired to have that done. Ask for referrals or customers that you could chat with. A good company would be happy to offer a few names and numbers to see how they have performed for prior projects. You could call a few antique stores and ask if they could refer you or recommend someone in woodworking restorations.

LadyTanya65 :

Another good contact to ask about would be any antique appraiser locally if they know of a restoration furniture company locally that could help you. These are all a good start in finding the one you need. You have a beautiful table and I wish you the best on this project. It is great to see people wishing to keep good pieces and restore them rather then discard them. I have two mission tables from California Missions that have been through a fire and we sanded them and put wood feeder on them. They look beautiful today and I have always enjoyed them. If you have more questions or need help please feel free to ask I am happy to help you in anyway I can. Tanya

Customer:

m

Customer:

Many thanks Tanya

Customer:

the information you have given me is excellent and of great help.I will now happily do the rating for your credit.

Customer:

thanks again and kind regards

Customer:

Anne

LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience: 25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher