Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Certified & Licensed
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

I have a marble sculpture, about 14 inches high, of a god with

I have a marble sculpture, about 14 inches high, of a god with three snakes on each arm and one ontop of the crown on his head. I believe that he's Jain--he has an Indian face and at one time his lips, snakes and loin cloth were painted. Unlike other Indian sculptures that I've seen, he's quite chubby, kind of like a Buddah with a round fat stomach. How can I find out how old the sculpture is and if it is worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been asked to assist you!
I am a Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster, Accredited AOA Appraiser, and an IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be my pleasure to put my expertise, libraries & resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

JustAnswer has just sent me your question regarding your marble sculpture. Thank you very much! I believe I will be able to help, but first I have to get a little more information from you.
Is there a mark, signature, or any writing on this piece? If so could you type it out for me? If there are characters, will a clear picture be available?

Are you able to send pictures?

It would help to see clear digital photos with good lighting. Please show everything as a whole along with close-ups of any marks, signatures, damage, repairs, etc. Use the Macro (flower) setting on your camera for these close shots as clarity is of the utmost importance. The better the images, the more accurate your answer will be.

JustAnswer does not permit me to give you my email address so to share pictures there are a few options. There are two ways to get them to me immediately:

1. The paperclip icon built in the chat reply box here will upload your photos directly on your JustAnswer question page for me to view. On a computer using firefox or internet explorer follow these steps.

2. An offsite photo sharing website such as Imgur.com or PostIMG.org, where you upload your pictures to their site then share the URL links with me here so I can view them. No account is needed.

If you do not think these methods will work for you, pictures can always be emailed through JustAnswer but there is up to a 24 hour wait before I receive them.

Any email will have to be sent as follows:
From: Your Email Address registered with JustAnswer
To:[email protected]
Subject: Pictures for Appraiser Alan
Body Text: The URL Link Address for this Question
Attachments: Up to 10mb in pictures

Please make sure you reply when you send pictures to let me know how they were sent. If you need additional time, or instructions, or if pictures will not be available for any reason, please let me know! I look forward to your reply. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the moment, the best I can do re a photo is a scan. Is that ok? I know that it's not as good as a photo but will show you what the sculpture looks like. There is no writing on the statue.

That should be just fine Vicki! Please let me know when you have it ready. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alan, can you please suggest the best way to send you the scan? Many thanks.

Hello Vicki,

Any of the 3 methods above can be used. The photo sharing sites and paperclip are the fastest but if you are unable to work them, then email will be just fine!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your patience while I conducted my research and prepared your answer Vicki.

From experience and research I can tell you This piece is a Buddha and the snakes are called Nagas, these are common in Buddhist art. Nagas are serpent beings from ancient Indian mythology. In early Hindu art, Nagas have human upper torsos but are snakes from the waist down. Judging from the picture, it was made circa 1870's to 1890's.

Searching auction house records and library databases provided recent sales results of qualified market comparable items. Using these I was able to determine the average market value minimum and maximum for you.

These recent completed sales gave your carved Buddha with Nagas statue a current market value of $200 - $300.
As always, the price you are able to sell for may vary depending on venue, condition, market variances, and more.

I would recommend a starting asking price of $400 so that you can reduce if necessary since Market Value represents what someone was willing to pay for an asset, not the amount it was offered for. Please let me know if you would like Insurance value as well.

Please let me know if this is the information you were looking for and reply with any questions now or any time in the future. If you are satisfied, please let me know by rating my answer for my compensation and to close out the question. Thank you kindly.

I try to always provide Excellent Service, so if you have any other items, just say Hello Alan at the beginning of your new question. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Appraiser Alan

Online Appraisal Answer Disclaimer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your help. The one thing I don't understand, because I know that Buddhism disappeared from India many centuries ago, is why my sculpture has an Indian face. There is a Jain god, see http://www.herenow4u.net/index.php?id=79846, Bhagwan Parshvanath that has seven snakes around his head. I thought that my figure might be him.

Thank you for the reply, I looked over your link and see what you are referring to. Please take a minute to look over this page: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Buddha_Park_Nagas.JPG

There are also several other examples in google images that you may want to take a look at.

I hope this answers your question and clears everything up for you!