LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a quantity of silver jewellery, some antique, which

Customer Question

I have a quantity of silver jewellery, some antique, which I stupidly 'electroplated' with some rubbish I bought from an advert years ago; it looks greenish gold and is unwearable and has no value apart from as scrap. Is it possible to remove this? Hilary
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 3 years ago.

LadyTanya65 :

Hello, my name is Tanya and I am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you with this. Electroplating is a process of putting a coat or cover electrolytically with a layer of metal.The process of producing a coating, usually metallic, on a surface by the action of electric current. The deposition of a metallic coating onto an object is achieved by putting a negative charge on the object to be coated and immersing it into a solution which contains a salt of the metal to be deposited. To undo an electroplate is impossible once it has been completed. It will damage if not destroy the original piece. The item will either need to be redone by electroplating it again with a thicker layer or design something that will bring attractiveness to the item. There is a smelting company in Michigan that can take items and melt it down for scrap separating the silver and other metals out giving you the total of each. Here is their website http://www.midwestrefineries.com/ If I may be of further service please feel free to let me know. Tanya