Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Where can I obtain the best price for a framed 24" X16" oil

Where can I obtain the best price for a framed 24" X16" oil painting on canvas by
Edmund Caldwell signed and dated 1915 subject Rhino & Warthog.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

On today’s market paintings by Edmund Caldwell (1852 - 1930) carry auction estimate of $800 - $1200 (477GBP – 715GBP) on average. Occasionally, the subject matter carries the bidding well past the high estimate and a few works have hammered down at $8000 - $10,000 (4770GBP – 5963GBP). Rhinoceros depictions in art tend to have a niche following, and thus your painting should gain more bidder interest.

If interested in selling this, the best route would be through auction. Here is a list I have made for you of the auction companies who have handled works by this artist:

Stephan Welz & Co Johannesburg XXXXX
Rosebank
Johannesburg
South Africa
Phone: 27 11(NNN) [email protected]
www.swelco.co.za

Lyon & Turnbull
Britannia House XXXXXHanley
Stoke on Trent
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)1782 214111 [email protected]
www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/schedule.asp

Bonhams Oxford
Oxford
United Kingdom
Phone: 01865 723524 [email protected]
www.bonhams.com

Dreweatt Neate, Newbury (Donnington)
Donnington Priory
RG14 2JE Newbury
Berkshire
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)1635 553553 [email protected]
www.dnfa.com

Christie's London, South Kensington
Christie's South Kensington
85 Old Brompton Road
London, SW7 3LD
United Kingdom
Phone: 44 (0)20 7930 6074 [email protected]
www.christies.com

Capes Dunn
The Auction Galleries XXXXX
Manchester
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)161(NNN) [email protected]
www.capesdunn.com

It is free to contact auction houses and get an estimate for sale. You can contact each auction house through their website. You will send them photos and information. You would not be obligated to sell with any of them. Please bear in mind that estimates will vary from each business, and that the highest estimate is not necessarily a guarantee of a sale.

Contact all of them, if possible for you, regardless of the company location. This will also help you get a consensus opinion on the value and estimates. Approach each one as if you are interested in selling through them. Auction houses take a percentage of the final sale price, so it is in their best interest to sell it for a premium bid.

Feel free if you have further questions about your item.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jerry~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora