nugentappraiser
nugentappraiser, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Senior Accredited Appraiser since 1976 in all types of personal property
69702522

Approximate value of a Burgess & Leight Burleigh Ware Flower

Customer Question

Approximate value of a Burgess & Leight Burleigh Ware Flower Vase with 1810 - 1850 marked on it with what looks like a beehive on it. No 205 is set into the base and also a number 6315 is written on it. Also marked Burslew Oxdland and a B.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  nugentappraiser replied 3 years ago.

nugentappraiser :

Thank you for your question on the B&L vase. Hi, my name is Ray and as one of the Just Answer experts it will be my pleasure to help you with your question. As I am sure you already know, Burgess & Leigh was a very old firm which occupied the Central Pottery, Burslem from 1862 to 1867 ( probably as Burgess Leigh & Co). In 1867 B&L took the earthenware department of the Hill Pottery and then in 1899 moved to the Middleport Works which were purposely built for them. Years later, in August of 1999, the company was renamed Burgess, Dorling & Leigh following a financial crisis. You mentioned the 'beehive' which was a mark used beginning in 1862. A beehive surrounded by leaves identifies the item as pre-1940 - after 1940 the beehive no longer had leaves. The 'Burslew' you mentioned is actually 'Burslem'. Is this info so far so good before I get to the valuation?