Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have 6 half calf volumes vii to XII of All the Year Round

I have 6 half calf volumes vii to XII of All the Year Round by Charles Dickens March 1862-Jan 1865 Condition good .Some foxing. What should i expect to get for them?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi There~

My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.

Early bound editions of “All Year Round”, a weekly magazine founded by Charles Dickens, retail for an average of $200 (119GBP) per volume. With 6 volumes that is an approximate sales value of $1200 (714GBP).

Feel free if you have further questions about your books.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for the retail value.Presumably if I sell them to an antiquarian book dealer or at auction I would expect a much lower price. Any rough idea what it would be reasonable to accept?

Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

If you sell them directly to a dealer, which I recommend as a 'last option' they will generally offer 10 - 30% of the retail value.

If you go through an auction, it is more than possible to reach the retail price when sold, however, the auctioneer may charge a seller's fee in the average range of 20%.

An excellent venue is Ebay. It is where the most people who want this type of book would first typically search. There, you can place any opening bid price. The key to a successful sale on there is proper category placement, key search words and correct spelling.

Another option would be to list your items on Craigslist yourself at a fair price. Craigs is free and they do not take a fee, so that is where you will make the most out of the end price. I do suggest, that if a buyer contacts you through Craigs, that you meet them at an agreed upon location - I do not recommend letting a stranger meet you at your home.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance on how to sell your books.

Sincerely
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora