Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have Jane Austen "Love & Friendship and other early Works"

I have Jane Austen "Love & Friendship and other early Works" published by Chatto & Windvs MCMXXII. Still has fly cover and 12 mini watercolour portraits on first 2 pages. A few little brown age spots on some pages but spine intact and generally good order. Just wondered if it was worth anything.

SueM
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 3 years ago.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

Can you tell me what the cover looks like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The book cover is red with gold flowers embossed back and front. The page with publishing details also says "now first printed from the original MS. by Jane Austen with a preface by G K Chesteron."

The page before that says "Reproduction, about half size, from a page of the original manuscript". The handwriting on the previous page starts "The History of England from the reign of Henry the 4th to the death of Charles the 1st" - there is more but I can't decipher some of the words. It says "The author" towards the end.

The last page in the book says "Printed by The Westminster Press 411a Harrow Road London W.

Hope this is of help to you. Also the pages are quite thick - almost blotting paper texture.

Sue

Hello Sue,
,

To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer. you cannot respond or send messages to the expert via emails.

.

The Jane Austen "Love & Friendship and other early Works" published by Chatto & Windvs MCMXXII has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $85.00-100.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in a Vintage Book Store or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As Antique Books are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.

If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

If there is anything else I can help you with on your question please feel free asking me with reply to expert button. Any problem or question can be resolved.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.

Clicking a rating following this answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to rate me, this allows me to be compensated from JustAnswer, at no cost to you.

Thank you so much!

Glenda