Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am trying to identify the maker and value of a Sevre/Samson

I am trying to identify the maker and value of a Sevre/Samson (perhaps) figurine of a man seated on a chair, tricorn hat, blue coat, floral breeches, 25cms high, looking to his left towards his lady (I haven't got her) . The Mark on the bottom is oval impressed, no colour, is this a cartouche, the rubbing I took looks like entwined letters (C's maybe). Can I send a photo of him?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 3 years ago.

rarewares :

rarewares :

Please do send a photo of your figurine. You can do that using the paper clip icon in the text box. The mark sounds like the mark of Ludwigsburg (Germany) from the 18th century, but I would like to see a photo of your mark to be sure.

Customer: I am having difficulty finding the clip in text box is it possible to have your email address please?
rarewares :

The address is***@******.*** and please put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the header of the email so that it will get routed to me. Sending photos this way usually takes a few hours for me to receive. In the meantime, look at this page to see if I am close with thinking you have Ludwigsburg porcelain. http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/baden/ludwigsburg-01/index.php

Customer: Thank you Yes I think you are on the right track. Photo on way Many thanks for your help so far
Customer: I was hoping for more information from you once you had seen the photo and rubbing of Mark . Have you anything to add?
rarewares :

I have had some trouble getting back into the chat box. It seems to be problem linking the US and UK sites. I do hope you get this. Now that I have seen the rubbing, it is unfortunate that I must tell you that your piece is a reproduction made in the 1950 to 1970 time period in Austria or France. This is known as a pseudo-Ludwigsburg mark.

Customer: Thank you for the information. Any idea of value?
rarewares :

Yes, even though it is a reproduction, the quality is still good from what I can tell from the photos. I would give this piece a value of 75.00 to 100.00 us dollars.