Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Hi I have a black leather cased pig

Customer Question

Hi I have a black leather cased pig which I bought from a flea market in London. It is very old but in good condition. I had thought it was used as a footstool and maybe even an old product from British Omersa. Yet it doesn't look like an Omersa type and doesn't have the stitch line on it. Now I guess it is a handcraft from Africa. I am wondering if you can give me more information about this interesting thing. What is its function and history. Thank you very much. leather cased pig

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 3 years ago.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

The Black Leather Pig was imported from Hong Kong in 1988 to be sold in department stores and gift shops. They are all hand made from China.

.

The Leather Pig has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of 46.94 -60.25 GBP depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.

If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, UK it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively following this response. If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.

Thank you so much!

Glenda

Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to get back late. Glenda, Thank you for your appraisal and I will think about your kind advice.

You are very welcome, if you need help with anything else feel free asking for me.

Hope you have a great day

Glenda