Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a conductors baton, made of ivory with embossed silver

I have a conductors baton, made of ivory with embossed silver mounts. I know the marks are for London 1884 & the makers mark is EW - any ideas who this might be
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to help you but I need a good clear photo of the marks on your silver mounts. I am an English silver specialist and should be able to locate your answer.

These are the ways to send me photos:

You may use this method:

Go to www.imgur.com

click on Computer

Select the picture file from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

OR,

Photobucket.com works about the same way as Imgur.com

OR,

You can use the paper clip icon at the top of your “reply” box to insert your photos directly into your “reply” box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doris,

Sorry I can not send photo of baton marks ( don't have a camera or a mobile that has either !) DDOn the left the E W has serifs & a small dot between the letters ( in the middle) this is indented in a rectangle. Then come the Lion in a squarish shield, a Leopard & a capital I both in shields.

The tip is 3/4" long -no marks-& is embossed with flowers. The middle band is 1!/2" long,has one plain side for a monogram & 4 flowers embossed on the other side & all the marks. The knob at the top is 11/2" deep,divided into 4 sections,plain on the very top & a full set of marks.Dee

Expert:  Doris replied 3 years ago.
Dee,
The "EW" you describe stands for Edwin Wescoatt.

My research indicates a retail value range of $400-550 for your baton.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of that retail range.

I hope this helps you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like for me to answer your future questions, you must put my name - DORIS - at the first of the question for the question to be assured of getting to me.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty with photos or current values – both are beyond my control.

Kind regards,

Doris “Dfm925”

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.