Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have a very large Wedgwood (originally 170+) bone china dinner

I have a very large Wedgwood (originally 170+) bone china dinner set, breakfast set, tea/coffee set for 12 together with teapots (3) milk jugs (3) and sugar bowls (3) oblong serving dishes (3) acquired in Japan in the late 1990s in very good condition It is white, gilt-edged with an upper band of light green with flower and berry motifs topped by a narrow blue classical frieze. I have not been able to find replacements for some missing pieces and one damaged tea saucer. Grateful for valuation of entire set. I cannot see the same set anywhere including on Wedgwood Japanese site. I was aware at the time that the set was designed for and was unique to the Japanese market. i see replacement cost of a similar service is a minimum $200 a piece. Thank you in anticipation, Declan
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I have not found an answer and need assistance. I tried to attach here a photo of a tea cup from the service of 177 pieces which shows colour, design and gilt edging but with no success. I can send it by email if you send me one. I have tried to send to the email I was sent.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see the teacup image did upload so you can see for yourself. There are 13 pieces missing and one damaged teacup saucer.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information, as well as images. I am sure this will help us find the right Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

Do you mean you found some for 200.00 per piece, like 200.00 for each cup?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but price varies per item on the Japanese site below. The afternoon teacup and saucer gilt edged and most closely resembling mine in style and design, not colour, is the image below. Most cups and saucers are not gilt edged so far as I can see which may make a big difference.

aティーカップ&ソーサー (リー)

Cost quoted is Y32,400, about $320 (1$ = Y100 approx).

Below is the link in Japanese. Images and prices are clear even for non-Japanese speakers. Other pieces are more expensive. .A teapot similar to my three in shape but not gilt edged is valued at $640, milk jug and sugar bowl in the same set, not gilt edged either, at $320 and $420. I cannot find dinner services on this site.

I have remaining 14 large dinner plates, 15 mid-size plates, 14 sideplates, 13 soup plates, 13 bowls for dessert or other, 13 afternoon teacups, 13 breakfast tea cups, 24 matching saucers, one damaged, 2 large and 1 smaller teapots, 2 larger and 1 smaller milk jugs, 2 larger and 1 smaller sugar bowls with lids, 3 large serving dishes, 12 demitasse coffeecups, 12 matching saucers one damaged...

Important is that set is unique to Japan which I knew at the time in the 1990s (cannot find anywhere on internet) made in England (Wedgwood moved manufacture to Indonesia for Asian market but only English sold well i n japan see link from Guardian also below. I hope all this helps and I would be most grateful for a helpful answer.

http://www.wedgwood.jp/products/list.php?transactionid=b2df60f6a0487d578a6f55d3f4afdb3908a9a119&mode=&category_id=56&brand_id=1&orderby=&disp_number=20&pageno=2&rnd=pob

http://www.wedgwood.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=896277

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/jan/15/ceramics-industry-waterford-wedgwood

I am not finding any Wedgwood China like you have anywhere. I may have to contact he Wedgwood Corporate Offices to find out how you can obtain pieces and a value for what you do have.
.
I am going to opt out and perhaps by chance someone knows this set. But, I do not find any Wedgwood selling as high as the Japanese Market is.
Glenda
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will wait, thank you. Could not Wedgwood comment directly? The lack of information seems extraordinary.

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** am a verified expert and will be working with you today. I believe that this is called Crown Sapphire. I had basically the same pattern in Ruby. This is a high end English pattern. If you could post a photo nod the set I could confirm this. What is marked on the bottom of the pieces?
Wayne
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne,

More information: The service seems to be entitled Meadow Field and is a special anniversary service,. All the items except curiously the teacups - which just say Wedgwood (R) Bone China Made in England (c) Wedgwood - carry the inscription on the base

Bicentenary

J Wedgwood signature (in italics)

Celebration

Meadow Field

Wedgwood

Bone China

Made in England

(c) Wedgwood 1995.

I am uploading photos.

I hope you can help with this further information which came from from examining the base of all the pieces.

I see Meadow Field is offered on ebay which gives an indication of value. I would like to buy the missing pieces and 1 damaged piece (demitasse saucer).

Declan

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Even though this pattern was discontinued circa 2004, you should have no trouble finding all of the pieces that you need. eBay is a good source. Another really good source is replacements.com, they have quite a few pieces in this pattern. Here is a link http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WW_MEF.htm
Wayne
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Wayne, I can see offers on ebay, Replacements and also China Service but they are very limited for this service and will not fit all losses. Presumably they may have items on offer from time to time and it's just a matter of waiting? Any other companies?

Declan

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Another good sourse may be Etsy. You can also do a google search under images for your pattern and pieces that you are looking for. This has led me to sites that may have these pieces for sale. This is one of my best strategies. I wish you good luck in your hunt.
Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience: 40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Etsy is of no use! Just responds to meadow field with varying results, none Wedgwood. I don't feel I have got extra value here. I've done the research myself.