Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Antique jewellery? I have a light blue almost clear stone mounted

Antique jewellery? I have a light blue almost clear stone mounted in gold which was made into a choker necklace for my 21st, I am now 45. However, I remember this mounted stone as a ring when my mother wore it, and she told me it was a broach when her mother wore it. My mum warned me that it is a soft gem stone, so since I have had it as a choker necklace it has stayed in tissue paper and never actually been worn. I am just wondering what the stone is and whether it is of any monetary value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 3 years ago.
rarewares :

You can add a picture of the stone by using the paper clip icon above the typing box. (just be sure you are on a desktop or laptop computer and not a mobile phone). That will help me identify the stone for you. A measurement of the stone in mm would also help greatly.

Customer:

Gem Stone
Full Size Image

Customer:

My apologies for the quality, the paper clip icon did not allow for an image of higher quality.

rarewares :

Gorgeous! This is an oval cut London Blue Topaz (because of the lighting it could also be regular blue topaz) in a bezel setting. I will guess from the size comparison that it is a 7 to 10 carat stone. The necklace looks to 14k gold, so the whole necklace with stone has a value of 800 to 1000 us dollars. I am sure it is priceless to you. It is okay to wear it, the topaz is not really a 'soft stone' but rather a stone with a hardness of 8 which wears well and will not scratch or dull. This is a stone, however, that does fracture with any hard impact, so just don't drop it.

Customer:

Thank you so much for the information, infact the choker chain does not fit anymore and to be honest I am thinking of selling it especially now I have a price guide and accurate description information. Many thanks, ***** ***** will deliver an excellent service rating for this.