Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a item which Im not sure what it is or what it was

Customer Question

I have a item which I'm not sure what it is or what it was used for, it has a silver end which has been hand carved and a wooden end.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to try to help you but I need a little more information.

I need the dimensions. I need to know how you obtained the piece.

And, most importantly, I need photos.

These are the ways to send me photos:

You may use this method:

Go to www.imgur.com

click on Computer

Select the picture file from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

OR,

Photobucket.com works about the same way as Imgur.com

OR,

You can use the paper clip icon at the top of your “reply” box to insert your photos directly into your “reply” box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but I do have some photos and dimensions of my item. The top is 34mm round, the bottom is 20mm round and the total length is 330mm. The item was obtained by my husband when he was 6yrs old which was 46 yrs ago from his auntie and uncle

Sharon,

It will take me some time to open your photos and study them.
I will return as soon as I have an accurate answer.

Best,
Doris

Sharron,

What you have is a baton similar to what orchestra leaders use to direct an orchestra.
Yours probably was used to lead a band or a musical group such as one a military group would have.

By the way, it is beautifully made and well cared for.

My research indicates a retail value range of $400-500 for your first half of the 20thC baton.

I hope this helps you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like for me to answer your future questions, you must put my name - DORIS - at the first of the question for the question to be assured of getting to me.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values – all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site’s rating system. It seems to have been down recently.

Kind regards,

Doris “Dfm925”

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.

Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where would I be able to sell this item

Sharron,
Where do you live?

Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Swansea south Wales uk

Sharron,
Thank you so very much for your positive rating!
If there are any antique markets near you, there are a few UK publications that list the Antiques Fairs with place and date. Go to one of these fairs and ask the dealers there if they would like to buy.
There are schools of music in the UK. A small ad placed in one of their news letters should work. Some of these schools are within universities. You will need to do some research to find them.
If you have any local music groups, you could contact them.
Your baton is beautiful. It should sell well.

Please keep in mind that the price I quoted you is the retail price one would pay to a dealer. If you sell to a dealer, you can expect 40-60% of the retail value range.

Again,
Kind regards,
Doris