Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

My mother has just passed away and in a cupboard I have found

Customer Question

My mother has just passed away and in a cupboard I have found some goss china. There is a lighthouse with west gate on sea, a jug with Basel on, a lobster pot with arms of Crieff on and another jug with Newcastle upon Tyne on it. Are they worth anything.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to help you.

You have asked values for several items. It will take me a while to research current values for all of them.

I will return as soon as I have accurate answers.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have done some research on your Goss pieces.

William Henry Goss (1833-1906), who owned a pottery named the Falcon Pottery in Stoke on Trent, is credited with the idea of creating small crested ceramic pieces. The factory started making these pieces about 1858 and continued after Mr. Goss's death until 1939.

Queen Victoria even owned several pieces of Goss.

My research indicates the following retail store values for your pieces:

Lighthouse - $40
Basel Jug - $26
Lobster Pot - $22
Newcastle Jug - $26

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of the retail values.

If you want additional information, there is a Goss Collectors Club found at

GossCollectorsClub.org.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values – all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site’s rating system.

Kind regards,

Doris

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.

Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Lighthouse - $40
Basel Jug - $26
Lobster Pot - $22
Newcastle Jug - $26

GossCollectorsClub.org.

I hope I have helped you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.