Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Nora, I dont know if you received this as my computer had

Customer Question

Nora, I dont know if you received this as my computer had a hiccup, so I'm resending it. Hi Nora, My name is***** and I am the web Secretary of the Marquetry Society. One of the services we offer is to assist owners of marquetry pictures or otherwise, assistance in identifying artists that are shown on our 'How can we help' page on our web site www.marquetry.org or queries received by e.mail. By far the most enquiries come from the USA from ex servicemen or their families regarding works by Buchshmidt & Gretaux brought home at the end of their tour in Germany. Over the years we have built up some expertise in their work and although we are really only hobbyists people seem to think otherwise. Although B&G closed in 1991 Mr Buchschmidt carried on making items for his own pleasure or on commission until 2001. He died in 2006 aged 93. It was about this time we started getting queries, mainly from the USA regarding their work. We had never heard of the Company before and started some research. This led us to the last surviving member of the company Herr Otto Chlupp. We remained in contact with him until he passed away 3 years ago. He was a mine of information and although all company records were destroyed when the company closed he was able to supply us with a great deal of information regarding topics, sizes and types of tables produced by B&G. This has helped when we receive queries regarding their work. The one thing that we will not give though, is value of pieces because we don't know how to price them. Recently we had a query from Dennis G. Stallbaumer stating that he had contacted you as an appraiser and you valued for insurance purposes his three tables, as $9000. This is a question that we often get asked but as I mentioned we are not qualified to give an answer and tell the enquirer to find an assessor in the USA. We are very interested as to how to value B&G work given that they are no longer in existence. Obviously condition plays a big part. We have John Bly an expert and fine art dealer in his own right from the Antiques Road Show as our patron but are reluctant to keep sending him our queries. I would like to correspond by e.mail with you regarding B&G as no one over this side of the pond seems to have heard of them! my e.mail address is *****@******.*** and if you don't mind I could refer folk asking for valuations in your direction. I hope that this is not too presumtious! Thank you for your patience in reading this missive! David XXXXXX

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello David,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mr. Walker,
Pleasure to read from you and I am so glad to know that you and others have tried their best to preserve the history of these fine masters of marquetry work.
Through this platform on justanswer.com, experts are not permitted to exchange personal contact info. Thus, your email has been censored on my side of the boards here.
What I can do is set up a phone call or skype conversation with you sometime and I will go over the bullet points, criteria and sources I use for valuations. Since it is through justanswer.com there is an additional charge for what is deemed an 'Additional Service'. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users.
Let me know how you would like to proceed. I would be happy to pitch-in in any way possible to help the Marquetry Society.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora, Thanks for coming back. I have had a word with our webmaster who is also editor of our Journal The Marquetarian and he would very much like to have a 'Skype' together. We thought that 6.30/7.00 pm GMT would be best given the time difference. If this time is OK, How-about this Friday?

David

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
Yes, that time will work for me, it is about 230/3pm EST.
Please allow me time to generate the 'Additional Services' ticket. I will post it to you this evening at earliest or tomorrow.
Cheers,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,
Ah, I just remembered my calendar.
My area has the largest country fair in the State and I promised to cut flowers in a friend's yard and enter them into the garden competition - and the deadline times are friday afternoon.
Would next Monday or Tuesday work for you?
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora

That's fine, Monday or Tuesday at 5.00pm GMT as long as that's not too early for you. We will have to decide who calls who. I've not done a Skype by appointment before! Hope your flower comp goes well.

David

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Great.
We will figure out the logistics after the Additional Services ticket is generated.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
There is not an additional services option being generated.
I will send this to customer service.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora. I'm confused. It appears that your organisation seems to think that I am unhappy with your response. This is not so. I didn't give a rating because we were still engaging and it appears that there was some confusion. I am quite willing to pay an additional charge if the service is not covered by my original question. We are still OK with Monday at 5.00pm GMT for a skype call if that is OK with you, or Tuesday as an alternative.

David

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
I think the company sends auto-emails, experts here are not really privy to those machinations.
There does not appear to be an Additional Services option on this question thread, it may only be available through the US site and not the UK site, to which I have access to both.
If you rate the question, that may stop the auto-emails, but you are not required to leave a rating until you see fit. Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.
Since there is not an Additional Services option, I am unable to commit yet to a skype conversation since experts here are not permitted to exchange personal contact information.
You may want to try to contact***@******.***
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora,

I've written to Customer support so we will have to see if the authorise a skype call.

David