Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have a gold pocket watch in good working condition and with

I have a gold pocket watch in good working condition and with original winder. It is in a box which I believe to be the original with Murat Paris written inside. Will the watch be of value to a collector?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gordon,
My name is***** am a verified expert and will be working with you today. Can you post a photo of this?

1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wayne,

To perform what you require will need me to get help from my daughter ( I am no good with computers) so may take a day or so before I see her.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wayne,

May take a day or so for me to send picture as I will need my daughter to help me.

Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gordon,
No problem, when you can.
Cheers,
Wayne
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gordon,
Can you open the back of the watch and tell me what it says or post a photo of this as well as the movement.
Wayne
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wayne,

Unable to access movement as there are two tiny screws which would need specialised instruments to open.

I do not have good magnification of the inscriptions on the back of the watch when it is open but I can make out four hallmarks - a crown,a number 12. a letter f ? and a shield?. There is the number 2034 just below the hallmarks and further down an engraved ***** *****ke a B on its side without the straight line. Above the top hallmark there are some very faint marks which could be x x - 7.And there are further similarly fine markings just below the numbers 03 of the 2034.

Sorry that is about all I can decipher.

Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gordon,
The hallmarks that you describe are english circa 1880. The box is not original to the watc, as it is much later. Perhaps they sold this at one time. The gold standard mark is 12 for 12ct Gold.
This would sell for 200-300 Pounds at auction and insurance value is 500 Pounds.
Wayne