Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Oil painting by Stephenson I think , Daniel in the lions den It

Customer Question

Oil painting by Stephenson I think , Daniel in the lions den
It was once on the wall of a Methodist church were my grandparents were caretakers and members of the congregation for many yrs and was rescued by my grandfather when due to bad weather lack of funding and also the age of the building unfortunately part of the roof was damaged which ruined parts of the interior. Thankfully funding along with hard work frm members of the church were granted and renovations were carried out.
Sadly lots of items were damaged my grandfather was lucky to have found the painting under rubble and is fortunately not damaged. Is there any value .
Should it b insured. I would appreciate any advise thank you
Marie nr Sheffield
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to help you.

There are about 10 UK painters with the last name of Stephenson. Can you give me a clue as to which one you are referring to?

Where was the church located?

Kind regards,
Doris
If you do not know at least the first initial of the artist, then perhaps you could tell me when it might have been painted? How old was the church?

Doris
Marie,
I have researched all 10 Stephensons that might have painted your piece.

Phillipa Anna Frederica Stephenson painted religious themes. I think she may be the one.

Do you see an initial/initials or name along with the Stephenson?

Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doris
Re: oil painting Daniel in the lions den
I have got most of the information about the piece as i could as it now belongs to my parents who live a distance from myself,
I must apologise as I made a mistake regarding the name it wasn't Stephenson.
the name or signature of this artist was : T Crawshaw
The way it is signed on the painting is very distinctive with the initial
T on top of the C for Crawshaw.
Dated : 1883 and the number 3 faces the wrong way
I am waiting for a photograph she will take and send which I've not yet received , as soon as I get it I will forward it
Marie
Thank you for the correct name.. I will research that artist, if he can be found as a major, listed artist, and return in about forty minutes.

Best,
Doris
Marie,
I cannot locate an artist "T. Crenshaw" in my lists of major artists.

Let's wait until the photo comes and see if the "T" might be someting else.

Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doris
I'm sorry for my slow rreplies but I'm just learning to use a computer and have to ask the children when I get stuck
The name is Crawshaw not Crenshaw
Marie
Marie,
I apologize for my mistake.
I hope to find T. Crawshaw.

I will let you know as soon if I can locate him.

Best,
Doris
Marie,
I forgot to congratulate you on learning to use a computer. I am addicted to mine.

I have found your artist.

Now all I need to know is the length and width of your painting not including the frame.

Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thank you for you patience I have been using my sons iPad and unfortunately he's been away for a few days, so I've not been able to reply until his return.
The size of the painting excluding the frame is: 36" - 28"
Marie
Marie,
Let me study auction results and I will be back as soon as I have a correct answer.

Best, Doris
Marie,
There were two auction sales listed in my best art value databases. They are as follows:

15.94 x 22.05" - Bonhams - 4.12.11 - est $654-981. Sold $785.

15.98 x 22.24" - Christies - 10.31.07 - est $1031 - 1650. Not Sold.

Thomas Crawshaw is listed as a 19th C UK painter in oils.

My experience and these auction results indicate that your painting at 36 x 28" (and twice as large as those at the auctions above) would have an estimated auction value of $1400-1900 assuming good condition.

A retail art gallery would price the painting at double the auction sale price.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards,

Doris

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.

Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.