Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

Dish (potato) ring. Hallmarked Sterling Silver .925 (number)

Customer Question

Dish (potato) ring. Hallmarked Sterling Silver .925 (number) 43965 with a crescent facing right and a dot in its centre and a crown with what could be a dot or small o inside.
Appears to be American.
Any clue as to where made and the name of the silversmith?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your question.
Would it be possible for you to send me photos? A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send images right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill~
Thank you for your patience.
You have a mid 20th century pierce-cut and chase engraved sterling silver potato ring with a chinoiserie theme, presumably without the standard blue cobalt glass liner since it is not pictured here.
The crescent with crown is a standard mark for sterling from Germany, however, there does not appear (in the photo of the mark) any additional hallmarks that will help determine maker, nor the origin definitively.
Would you like me to opt-out and open the question up again to the other experts?
Sincerely,
Nora
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** your quick identification. I would very much appreciate my question being opened up to other experts. Any additional identification would be welcome as I had thought it was from one of the former British American colonies.

Thanks again for your excellent service and I look forward to contacting you again if I have other identification requirements.

Bill

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill,
Certainly, I would be happy to oblige.
I will opt-out and if someone else knows the answer they will respond to you here on this thread. My opting-out is not a guarantee, however, that another expert will answer.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** am a verified expert and will be working with you today. Can you post a photo of this pieces as well as the hallmark?
Thanks,
Wayne

1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page