Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

have ! The Rural Scene' volume IV by Bernard Gilbert published

have ! The Rural Scene' volume IV by Bernard Gilbert published by Collins 1923 and dedicated to GK Chesterton.
But what is really unique about this volume is that it is actually printed upside down and back to front viz if you hold book normally, back pages are to front of book and print is upside down right through book!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
On today’s market, a ‘normal’ copy of your first edition book, ‘The Rural Scene The Dialect Poems Being Volume IV’ of the "Old England" Series published in 1923 by Collins retails for $90 - $100 or 56-62GBP or 71-79Euro.
Yours is a printing mistake, having been printed and bound both backwards and upside down. Unfortunately, printing errors in books do not raise the market value of it in the way that printing anomalies do on postage stamps and currency. In fact, it de-values the book.
Here is a link to an article for you that backs up my statement as well:
http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/misprinted-books.html
However, you do mention the book was dedicated to GK Chesterton, is that a handwritten dedication indicating this was gifted and previously owned by Chesterton? As that would bump the value up based on provenance.
Feel free if you have further questions about your item.
Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.
Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora