Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Maker's Mark is HRT followed by the letter L followed by

Customer Question

Maker's Mark is HRT followed by the letter L followed by the Lion peasant followed by a leopard mean (with no crown on it's head) all the above on a Silver bangle.
Any Ideas please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

I will be pleased to help you. English silver is one of my specialties.

I am going to need a clear photo of the marks. They tell date by style of "L."

These are the ways to send me photos:

You may use this method:

Go to www.imgur.com

click on Computer

Select the picture file from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

OR,

Photobucket.com works about the same way as Imgur.com

OR,

You can use the paper clip icon at the top of your "reply" box to insert your photos directly into your "reply" box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards, Doris.

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Max,

I may be able to do this without a photo of your bangle's marks but I do need to know the width of the bangle's band.
Is your L a block capital L in a rectangle/square?

Does your HRT look like this

grapHRT2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To Doris,

It is impossible to take a photo of the silver marks they are too small I have described who they are presented which must be straight forward to you.

The width of the band is 20 mm wide or 13 sixteens in "Old Money"

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Max,

The silversmith (HRT) is listed as an unknown but his mark was registered in 1946-47 which coincides with your date letter "L."
Your bangle is sterling silver (lion passant mark) and assayed in London (uncrowned leopard's head).

My experience and research indicate a retail store value of $350-490 for your 20mm wide bangle assuming good condition and depending on detail of decoration.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards, Doris

Please note: If you are sent a follow-up survey, please answer favorably. This impacts my job.

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.