Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

my wife has two vases with lids and two handles, thet stand

Customer Question

hi my wife has two vases with lids and two handles, thet stand 16 ins approx high and have a markig on the base.
The marking is two rings one inside the otherwith made In England going round between the rings, in the inner ring there are three letters W to the right A to the left and L between and below with & dead centre. There is a signature on T. Reid
Have you any idea what these are, we have google T Reid but have found nothing.
Jim
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you receive the photo's

Jim Carr

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim,
There are no photos attached here.
Please try the directions on this link:
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim,
I have not found a maker name match to this mark to this for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I have found the mark but now I need time to study your photos.

I will return shortly.

Kind regards,

Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Your hand painted vases were painted by factory artisan T. Reid. The factory is Arthur Wood & Son - Longport - of Stafforshire, UK. The firm mark you have dates 1920s-1930s. The firm eventually became a division of Price & Kensington.

As a pair of expertly hand painted antique/vintage vases from the 1920s, the pair has a retail antiques store value of $1450-1650 assuming good condition with no chips or cracks.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control. Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris

Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again