Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

how much is a tea set - 4 cups & saucers teapot,sugar basin,cream

how much is a tea set - 4 cups & saucers teapot,sugar basin,cream jug all on large tray and in bone china made by chapman pottery reg.206779 no.1569 worth please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry cannot send a photo. mark on bottom looks like a man with a globe on his shoulders with a band going across the globe marked chapman . The teapot has 2 slight cracks at the rim & a cup has star crack in the bottom,apart from that all ring true as uncracked bone china should.

thank -you for your help as this has been in my family for 80 years at least. From Pauline

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pauline~
Ok, understood.
Your tea set was made in England by Chapman.
The material is bone china.
The pattern name is ***** ***** series 1569.
The English Registry number of 206779 indicates the set was made in 1893.
Unfortunately, there is less demand on today's market for tea sets (and china sets) as more people use disposable wares, dine on the go and simply just do not take the time in their day for a restorative tea-time break. With that said, Chapman tea sets sell on the market for a high of $75. With the condition issue to the teapot, which is the star component to the set, and a cup the value decreases moreso. The suggested replacement, or insurance value of the set is $200.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid by the company when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nora for your help. I have only just received this item and didn't have clue as to it's value. I won't get rid of it now just because of the damage. Thanks again, Pauline

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pauline~
My pleasure to be of help and thank you for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora