Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have 2 candlesticks with marks on the bottom showing T Goode

Customer Question

I have 2 candlesticks with marks on the bottom showing T Goode & Co, South Audley St, London W. There is also an impressed stamp showing Wemyss Ware R.H.&S
I have looked online and can find similar items but mine are taller (12") with purple plums and green leaves. Are these genuine and are they of much interest to collectors.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

May I have a photo of your candlesticks, please.

These are two ways to send me photos :

You can use a free internet photo website named www.imgur.com

or

You can use the paper clip icon at the top of your “reply” box to insert your photos directly into your “reply” box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just taken the photo (but not cleaned the items first) I hope they are good enough for you. There is a chip on one of the corners but otherwise not bad condition. Gail

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Gail,
Wemyss Ware is highly collectible Scottish pottery. It was started in 1882 in Fife Scotland.

Your Wemyss Ware candlesticks were marketed at the upscale Thomas Goode tableware shop on the same street at the American Embassy.

The results of my research indicate that your pair of Wemyss Ware 12" candlesticks have a retail vintage store value of $1800 assuming there is only one small chip in conditon issues.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control. Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.