Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I own a book entitled 'Burkitt on New Testament' 13th Edition

I own a book entitled 'Burkitt on New Testament' 13th Edition dated 1752 (MDCCLII) with
78'curious copper plates' and the original regional map, all in excellent condition. The original leather binding requires some attention to the spine. Can you tell me what it would be likely to fetch at an appropriate auction? It has been in my family for generations but we are considering 'down-sizing' and many things must go.
I look forward to your advice as to the best way to dispose of it and its potential value.
Maurice G Short
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maurice,
My name is Nora.
May I please know the publisher name in this volume?
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nora,

Sorry for the delay.

There appears to be no specific Publisher, but it says on the first page after a full page copper plate of William Burkitt, LONDON (in red) Printed for....followed by a list of 23 names.

The only other reference I can find is on the map inside the back cover, which says R.W.Seale.det.seulp.

Hand-written on one of the fly-leaves is a list of names with the surname Pipe, which we believe are ancestors of my family. I have yet to research this. They date from1802 to 1885.

I look forward to your next reply.

Maurice G Short

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already sent this information. Do you require it again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still awaiting a reply to my enquiry, & have sent the info you required regarding Publisher. If you are unable to give me a specific answer to my original question would you please return my £13.00 ?

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maurice~
Thank you for your patience.
The value of your book is held primarily in the map still accompanying this mid-18th century volume. Based on comparables, this could garner $450 - $600 at auction and the high retail value is in the range of $700 - $1000.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nora, Many thanks for the possible valuation. Is it just for the map or map with Testament? Also 78 curious copper plates must surely have value?

Please tell me what is the meaning (translation) of R.W.Seale.det.seulp. as marked on the map?

Also, I understand that on the American market, people are often interested in buying old books (esp. religious) that have original dated signatures that they can claim are part of their Family Tree. Do you think it is possible to find that kind of market?

Please advise how I could set about it......

Maurice

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maurice,
The valuation is for the entire book. The reason the book retains a higher value is because the map is still intact. If the map was not still in the book, the value would drop by as much as 75%. The copper plate illustrations do not hold as high of a value as a map. The market is such that cartography collectors pay more for maps from books than print collectors would pay for book illustration pages.
R.W. Seale is the name of the engraver, Richard William Seale (December 1703 - May 25, 1762). 'Det' means 'drew' in Latin and 'sculp' ((note not seulp) means 'engraving' in Latin. So essentially it says "Richard William Seale, Engraver".
For your records, here is a link for you on a brief bio of R.W. Seale:
http://www.geographicus.com/P/AntiqueMap/seale
There is not a specific repository of names of possible interested buyers looking to match or claim family tree documentation. The best way to sell would be through a rare and antique book auction.
It is free to contact auction houses and get an estimate for sale. You can contact each auction house through their website. You will send them photos and information. You would not be obligated to sell with any of them. Please bear in mind that estimates will vary from each business, and that the highest estimate is not necessarily a guarantee of a sale.
Here are some suggestions of companies to contact:
Bauman's Rare Books in Manhattan - http://www.baumanrarebooks.com/
PBA Rare Book Auctions in San Francisco: http://www.pbagalleries.com/
Swann’s Auction Galleries: http://www.swanngalleries.com/bo_oks.cgi
Bloomsbury London: http://www.bloomsburyauctions.com/
Heritage Auctions: www.ha.com
Australian Book Auctions: http://www.australianbookauctions.com/
Dominic Winter Auctions: www.dominic-winter.co.uk/
Bonham’s Book and Manuscripts Dept: www.bonhams.com/departments/BOK/
Contact all of them, if possible for you, regardless of the company location. This will also help you get a consensus opinion on the value and estimates. Approach each one as if you are interested in selling through them. Auction houses take a percentage of the final sale price, so it is in their best interest to sell it for a premium bid.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nora,

Many thanks for most comprehensive info. I will certainly take your advice and make contacts. I hope a suitable sale will ultimately result!

Excellent service, thanks......

Maurice Smile

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maurice,
My pleasure to be of help to you here.
In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here, I would really appreciate it.
This question thread will not close after a rating is left.
~Nora