Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

Good morning, would this be of value? Harry Barnard ex Wedgewood

Good morning, would this be of value?
Harry Barnard ex Wedgewood etc who died in 1933 produced a lamp which was his own bespoke unique design for my mothers wedding in 1932.
It has HB individual mark of a bee on it and is in immaculate condition.
Thanks in advance and kind regards
Dave
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will continue waiting, thank you
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 2 years ago.
Good day, my name is***** am a Certified Antiques, and Collectibles Appraiser specializing in Fine Art and Decorative Art. Thank you for your question. I am sure in your research you have learned about Harry Barnard and his history with Wedgwood. In case you haven't. I will insert the history provided by the Wedgwood Museum. Harry Barnard was born in London and left school at l5 to work in a modelling shop of the family silversmiths in St. Martin's-le-Grand, London. He left to enrol at the Royal School (now Royal College) of Art where he studied drawing and modelling. In l880 he joined the Doulton Lambeth Studios, working under the supervision of Mark Marshall. At the age of 22 he was the under-manager of the extensive studios (which then employed 325 women and 45 men and boys). All the work produced was hand-crafted. In February l895 he left Doulton to join the Cobridge based firm of James Macintyre. A year later he joined the Wedgwood factory at Etruria. He was able to apply his expertise in hand-crafted wares - for example slip decorating, jewelling, sgraffito and pâte-sur-pâte to its fullest extent.
He utilised his art techniques on traditional Wedgwood Ceramic bodies, such as Jasper and Black Basalt. He also produced designs for production in bone china, stone ware, Majolica and tiles. For a number of years between l902 and l9l9 he became the Wedgwood London Manager, returning to the factory he collaborated on special projects such as a new edition of the famed Portland Vase. He also assisted extensively with the factory Museum, and both wrote and lectured on Wedgwood ware and history. He continued to design and decorate individual art wares until his death in l933. Your lamp appears to have been designed the year before his passing. In order to give you an estimate of value I need to see it. Is it possible for you to send an image of the lamp? You can send it by e-mail to:***@******.***, please post it attention Tim Antique Appraisals.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim,
I am sending images of the lamp, to the e mail you suggest above.
For your info this was a wedding present from Harry Barnard to my mother in 1932.
Her maiden name was Alice Gater. Her married name was Wright.
The bottome of the lamp shows an Ali Gator disappearing and the word Gone. While at the top of the lamp are two doves and the words
All W.right Now.
Dave
Dave, it sounds very whimsical and charming. I look forward to seeing it.
Tim
Dave, the pictures arrived in today's e-mail. I love the whimsical and humorous elements with which Harry Barnard personalized your lamp. It is truly one of kind, not at all typical of his body of work, which makes it most challenging to find a known comparable. Lamps as a rule, are less marketable than vases. That said, it is desirable because of who he is and how this piece truly expresses the artist himself. Which makes it a rarity. He really cut loose with this one, freely expressing his unique sense of humor and affection for your mother. In my opinion the estimated Retail Value for your piece would be: £700 to £1,000. Thank you, ***** ***** sharing your treasure and family history with me.
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA