Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I Have an old Book called Hoods Own or Laughter from year to

Customer Question

I Have an old Book called Hoods Own or Laughter from year to year. Published by Edward Moxon, Dover St. London. in 1855. It was printed by Bradbury and Evans of Whitefriars. It is signed "yours truly ***** *****" with his picture. It has a name of Isobel Braybrook Leigh and dated 18th December 1855 who I presume was the first Owner. Someone has attempted to recover the original but all pages are present. Can you please tell me anything about this book or it's Author?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will wait for answer please.

Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 2 years ago.
Good day, my name is ***** ***** you for your question. With old and sometimes rare books the value depends on the edition, the printing (i.e)if it is a first edition, the quality of the binding and of course the condition.
Your book written by Thomas Hood, (23 May 1799 – 3 May 1845. He was an English poet, author, and humourist, best known for poems such as "The Bridge of Sighs" and "The Song of the Shirt". Hood wrote regularly for The London Magazine, the Athenaeum, and Punch. He later published a magazine largely consisting of his own works. Hood, never robust, lapsed into invalidism by the age of 41 and died at the age of 45. "Hoods Own" Is a collection of miscellaneous pieces from Hood's Comic Annual, including his "Literary Reminiscences." The first series was first published in parts in 1839, with later editions issued by Moxon in 1846 and 1855. Yours is a copy of the 1855 printing. It is a selection of pieces from Hood's Comic Annual. With frontispiece portrait. The series of the Comic Annual, dating from 1830, was a kind of publication at that time popular, which Hood undertook and continued, almost unassisted, for several years. Under that somewhat frivolous title he treated all the leading events of the day in caricature, without personal malice, and with an under-current of sympathy.
The signature unfortunately is not that of the author, who passed in 1845, ten years before yours was published.
I am sure you are curious as to the value of your volume. A clean tight copy in good condition has a retail value of £ 60.00 to
£ 99.37.
Thank you for your question, it should be a charming read.
Cheers Tim
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply about " Hoods Own" and yes I do find it very amusing and like the Illustrations. I shall read on!

Enjoy Cheers Tim