Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have what I think is a unique and interesting solid silver

Customer Question

I have what I think is a unique and interesting solid silver teapot but I need some expert help with dating and accessing its value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send photos. I need at least one of the teapot and one of the markings.
You may need to use your camera's macro function (flower icon) to get a clear photo of the marks.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link you see on your reply page.

If it is not there then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com. Use the following instructions:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I need one of the teapot.

Knd regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Doris, thank-you so much for your patience, I will not be remembered on this planet for my computer skills.

Anthony,
Is the mark in the middle "HS"? If not, what is it.?

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Doris, the marking is HS which led me to think it was Solomon Hougham of London. What I think is very interesting and I'd love your opinion is the inscription which is identical on both sides of the pot and reads:

Presented to Mr George Stephenson as a testimonial of respectful esteem by the workman under his immediate superindendance at Messrs Peters & Sons Coach Manufactory

Your teapot was assayed in London in 1798 to certify that it was sterling silver during the reign of George III.
The maker/sponsor is Solomon Hougham.

Your pot did not originally look like this. It was originaly much plainer. It was later decorated to a more ornate design.

The retail antiques store value of your teapot is $1800-2200 assuming good condition.

The inscription was later added. I do not know the firm mentioned in the inscription.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for your time and effort, I think the inscription could be the key to the value of the item, if it does turn out to be 'the' George Stephenson.

You have been very helpful, Thank-you, Anthony.

The later decoration of the pot was probably done at the same time as the inscription.
The later decoration is Victorian.

THank you for the positive rating!

Kind regards,
Doris