Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Madam,Can you please identify a set of plates

Dear Sir/Madam, Can you please identify a set of plates for me? They were sold to me as Meissen from my late brother's Estate but they do not have Meissen marks of any year. The evaluator said he got expert advice .... I will send you photos if I have an email address for you. How much will you charge for your service, please? Thank you very much, Yours sincerely, ***** ***** XXXXXXXX

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !

Click the link: for instructions on uploading images

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

.
.
.
.
.

This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.

http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...

.

Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".

.

In the body of the message put , your user name and name.

.

Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are.

.

Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.

Glenda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

I cannot use this form for attaching photos because my photos do not have an url. They were uploaded into my computer from the camera on my iPad and I gave them a title to facilitate my search when I want to look at them. I am trying to send you the photos via email but my first email was returned as an unknown address though I copied the one you gave me above in your notes to me.

Regards,

Morag XXXXXX

If you watch this it will show you how to get them from your computer to upload them to this message box.
.

.

After researching the plates, I cannot say these are Meissen, all indications show that Meissen marked their porcelain with crossed swords. If you look at this site you can see their products and their historical items. http://www.meissen.com/en/historical-pieces/plates?page=3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Firstly, Glenda, my most sincere and very embarrassed apology for the row of kisses after my name in a previous note!! I have only seen them now as I scrolled down to get to your last message to me. I have NO idea how that happened!

Thank you, ***** ***** confirmation that the plates are not Meissen. I knew they were not Meissen but wanted an expert to affirm this for the sake of a relation who was misled. Looking at the style and competence of the decoration, which is high, are you able to give an informed guess as to where they could have been made? UK? Germany?Bavaria? France? Czechoslovakia?

Hello Mrs Morag

I think the row of kisses might be where you put your email address, the site x's those out so the appraisers cannot see them, since we are not allowed personal contact with customers.

From my experience( 45 years in the antique business ) these look to be Bavarian, made in the late 1800 to very early 1900's. Several fine porcelain factoris in Bavaria produced this style of plate. On todays market the plates have an estimated value of $115.00-125.00 each, depending on the condition and where they are sold at.
.
If you do plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!

Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! .
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda