Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have a set of 12 The Wonderland of Knowledge, an edited version

I have a set of 12 The Wonderland of Knowledge, an edited version by Ernest Ogan by Odhams Press Limited, Long Acre, London. Do they have any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,
My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
Do you by chance see a date of publication on your books?
Are there any damages to any of the volumes?
Thanks,
Frank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Frank,

I am unable to find a date on any of the books in the volumes, I was given them by my grandmother as a child and I know she got them from an old book shop and had them for some years, the set were Printed and Bound by Greycaine Book Manufacturing Co, Watford, Herts. The outer edges on the spine of the volume are damaged but the pages are all in good condition if a little discolored. The set are housed in a wooden cas but that has unfortunately been painted, it was varnished wood. I am curious as to their value before giving them to a charity shop in case they would be of more use to someone interested in old books.

Suzanne

Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Excellent.
Thanks for getting back to me Suzanne.
Based on your description, the sets sounds like one of the editions printed in the early 1930's.
In excellent condition, if you were trying to sell the set yourself, a realistic fair market value would be between 90-110GBP. If you were selling the set in a retail book shop, you would be looking at closer to 130-150GBP, assuming the volumes are in tip top shape. Taking into account the spine damage, you would be looking at closer to 50-60GBP.
When dealing with antiquarian or collectible books, condition plays a major role in the resale value. Collectors are looking for top quality issues with the least amount of damage. Soiling, staining, binding damage, cover damage, or torn pages would result in a drop in value.
I hope this information was helpful to you today Suzanne.
Best of luck with your vintage book set.
Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.
Thank You,
Frank
Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.