Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a dinner gong hung between two elephant tusks held in

Customer Question

I have a dinner gong hung between two elephant tusks held in silver mounts on an ebony base. The silver hallmarks are as follows ---P&D --a lion within a box having chamfered corners -- then the letter Z in a square box, again with cm feared corners --followed by an anchor on its side in a box with chamfered corners. Has this any value?
Height about 22 inches.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. I am not really au fait on how to send photos, I only have an iPad. However my son took some photos and sent them to me as an email. So perhaps if you could let me have an email address I could forward his emails to you. Just a little history behind my gong-- I inherited it from my Grandfather who spent his life in West Africa as a trader. He started life out there in the late 1880's. He started out by joining Miller Brothers of Glasgow, ending up on the board of Lever Brothers. I hope this information is of some use. Sincerely ***** *****

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor,
Thank you for the additional information.
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sent two emails yesterday evening and addressed them as as you told me to. So I hope you now have them. Sincerely ***** *****

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor,
I have received the images, thank you.
Please allow me some time to conduct the research for you.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Nora,
I have just realised I never included the striker in the description or photos.
It has an ivory handle, which unfortunately has snapped off where it is held in position by a silver ferrule. I am sure this can easily be mended.
Regards Trevor.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor,
At your convenience, please send an image of the striker.
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor~
Thank you for your patience.
The silver hallmarks for the mounting on your dinner gong stand for the following:
The lion is for English Sterling Silver.
The anchor is for having been made and assayed in Birmingham, England.
The Z letter in chamfered square represents the year it was made, being 1899.
The round mark is for the monarch profile of Queen Victoria.
P & D is the name of the silversmiths, Pembrook & Dickins.
In general, antique late Victorian to Edwardian era dinner gongs sell for $300 - $500 (189GBP - 315GBP). However yours is sterling silver mounted, ivory and ebony with the original striker. This will increase the sale value to $1000 - $2000 (630GBP - 1260GBP).
You may want to seek a 2nd opinion and possible broker through Michael Backman, a renowned dealer in items that came to the British Empire from exotic places.
Here is a link for you to his website:
http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/
***@******.***
Tel: 44-(0)2076294889
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora
I have been trying to send you a few more photos I took with my ipad. But I just cannot send for reasons I don't understand!!! Though I seem to have just received a reply from your office, though it seems there was no content to my email, so I don't know what happened. Regards Trevor.