Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

My parents have a large platter which has a japanese/chinese

Hello, My parents have a large platter which has a japanese/chinese scene on the front. All we know about the plater is that it was given to my mother by her great aunt. Where she got it from we are not sure. It has three marks on the back. One is in the shape of an urn that has the words, "Chiang Nan" and the other two are small, simple oriental symbols. One looks like the number "2" and the other looks like an "a" with a long tail.
I can't find the marks on the internet. Should we have this valued?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here are the requested photos
Simon
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
At your convenience, please include a full view of the platter from the front as well as the approximate dimensions.
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 43x35 cmThanks
Simon
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the image ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Simon~
Thank you for your patience.
You have an 1840’s English Staffordshire Early Victorian Era blue transfer print large earthenware serving platter.
The pattern name is***** and it is from a series named Beauties of China that was produced by M.V. Co. which stands for Mellor, Venables & Co. from Burslem England.
The partners, Charles Mellor of Bleak*****, ***** Venables of Waterloo Road and Thomas Pinder of Furlong Place were in business from 1834 - 1851.
On today’s market, your large early Staffordshire platter would sell for a high average of $200 -$300. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $450.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for all your help.
Simon
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Simon~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora