Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

I wonder if you can assist. Whilst clearing my mother's property

Customer Question

I wonder if you can assist. Whilst clearing my mother’s property I came across an item of pottery that possible was my grandmothers.
The backstamp reads FOLEY – ENGLISH BONE CHINA – By Thomas Acland – ARITST’S COPYRIGHT RESERVED, and a black line where normally ‘First Edition’ would appear.
I have searched on the internet and the all the matching Foley backstamps point to the Harrods exhibition of 1934 entitled 'Modern Art for the Table'. Further internet research has confirmed that Thomas Acland Fennemore was the art director at Foley Potteries whom instigated the Harrods exhibition, pulling together 27 artists (using the ‘by Artist’ backstamp) and he also entered his own work which I believe my piece is one.
Regards Paul
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is first photo.

And second photo.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul,
You are correct and yes indeed, this is one of the objects made for the exhibition at Harrod's by Foley and both under the direction of Thomas Acland as well as designed by him.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and confirming my findings.
Can provide an auction and private sale valuations?
Do you know what the pattern is called?
Do you know where I can find the E. Brian pattern books or information?
Do you know why some of the Harrods collection of Foley have First Edition and others are blanked out?
Regards Paul
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul,
I will look into your queries for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nora, I look forward to your reply.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Certainly
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul,
I have not been able to locate any solid information on the queries you have on your item.
If you like, I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional fee.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nora,

Thank you for looking, can you as suggested open this question to all the experts.

As you know i am interested in the following:

Do you know what the pattern is called?

Kindest regards. Paul

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul,
Certainly.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your reply, Nora said she would open my question to all other professionals at no extra charge, therefore I am happy for this to happen. The original question only confirmed my own findings but not the 4 part question above. Regards Paul.
Hello Paul,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.